2010 DF70A Trim & Tilt HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2010 DF70A Trim & Tilt HELP!

Just recently my DF70A trim and tilt stop working. I am trying to find the reason so I am checking with everyone here. when I press on the switch, all I hear is a tick sound whether trimming up or down, but no movement? I checked the cylinder and no leaks to be seen of the trim and tilt fluid. Would anyone know what may be the problem? if it is a relay, does anyone know what part # it is?
    Last edited by pangelinan75; 01-31-2016, 05:05 AM.

Originally posted by pangelinan75 View Post
    Just recently my DF70A trim and tilt stop working. I am trying to find the reason so I am checking with everyone here. when I press on the switch, all I hear is a tick sound whether trimming up or down, but no movement? I checked the cylinder and no leaks to be seen of the trim and tilt fluid. Would anyone know what may be the problem? if it is a relay, does anyone know what part # it is?

I agree this could be battery / power related situation
    First question would be how old your starting battery is? Your engine is 2010 -could the battery be 5 or 6 years old?
    With the condition you expressed- will the engine turn over with key?
    One other thing that often gets overlooked is cable/battery connection- these should be regularly taken apart an cleaned
    Art

Comment

If you hear the clicking when pressing up, or down, from controls and side of motor, I would assume your relays are engaging. However you may have a connection problem with ground, or wires going to the ptt motor.

Good luck.

Comment

Yes it was a corroded line connected to my relay. Battery is only a year old and turns the engine with one turn. seeing the corrosion, changed the line and cleaned connection... viola! operational once again. Thanks to everyone for your input.

Comment

Glad you're up and running again.

Happy boating.

Comment

I have a similar issue..

OK, first post on this site, so cut me a little slack.

I've got a 40HP 4-stroke Suzuki EFI made back in 2004. This motor is a garage queen and is never allowed to sit out in the elements. Admittedly, I have run it much in the past couple of years, but the engine has very low hours for its age and looks like new. Recently pulled it out so I could give it a good once over and check all fluids before I took it out.

My issue is when I hit the T/T button it goes up just fine, but it either doesn't go down at all or it is very sluggish when it does go down. I put some muffs on the motor and cranked it in the driveway. When you push the down button, you can hear the relay engage, but I could only get it to go down once or twice and I tried several times. It goes up great, but not down. I saw this thread and didn't want to start another one, so any suggestions?

Comment

Pot Hole
              I am not that familiar with this model
              Does the run with remote or just the tiller ?

If you have a remote are you having the same symptoms ?
              If this is just a tiller model, I would suspect the T/T switch is failing
              I had a similar issue on my 175 replacing the switch was the answer
              Art

Comment

I would say you have a problem in the wires for the down movement. The switch is engaging the relay, this means the switch is good. If the down relay is good, then there is a connection problem going to the ptt motor when you press the down switch. Most likely the ground wires off the down relay. The wires for the ptt motor are fine, because the up direction works fine. If the relay is bad, then you won't get voltage across to activate the down movement.

Good luck. Post back what you find.

Comment

Originally posted by artdf175 View Post
                  Pot Hole
                  I am not that familiar with this model
                  Does the run with remote or just the tiller ?

If you have a remote are you having the same symptoms ?
                  If this is just a tiller model, I would suspect the T/T switch is failing
                  I had a similar issue on my 175 replacing the switch was the answer
                  Art
                  It is not a remote, just a tiller model. Suzuki DF40 long shaft with tiller steer and T/T. It looks like this one:

I have a T/T switch on the tiller handle as well as on the side of the motor. Both T/T switches raise the motor just fine, but neither will lower the motor consistently. When I put the muffs on it and cranked it, I (eventually) got it to go down, but when I raised it back up to check it again, it was hesitant and only went back down twice and I couldn't get it to do it again.

Originally posted by Solarman View Post
                  I would say you have a problem in the wires for the down movement. The switch is engaging the relay, this means the switch is good. If the down relay is good, then there is a connection problem going to the ptt motor when you press the down switch. Most likely the ground wires off the down relay. The wires for the ptt motor are fine, because the up direction works fine. If the relay is bad, then you won't get voltage across to activate the down movement.

Good luck. Post back what you find.
                  Solarman, I think you are onto what might be my problem. Both T/T switches seem to work fine when raising the motor, and I can hear the down relay engage, so I am thinking the problem is somewhere else. Any idea where the ground wire is to the down relay? I can get by on my mechanic expertise, but I don't want to mess around with something I am completely unfamiliar with.
                  Last edited by Pot Hole; 02-20-2016, 03:53 PM.

Comment

If you have a service manual, that would help.
                    You need to find your up and down t/t relays. Disconnect your battery(ies - if more than one). Then remove the black wires on both relays, check & clean each wire - if damaged, or corroded replace that section of wire. Reconnect all wires securely back where they were. Reconnect battery connections.

Pot hole, please start your own thread in the future. It makes it easier to find and respond. Thanks

Post back what you find out. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Solarman View Post
                      Pot hole, please start your own thread in the future. It makes it easier to find and respond. Thanks

Post back what you find out. Good luck.
                      Will do. This thread resembled my problem so much I figured I could tag along.

Update: Did a thorough check of everything and found nothing obvious amiss. I'm close to the water, so I figured what the heck, drop her in and see if running the engine on the water might kick start my problem. Well guess what, after about a 1/4 mile across the water, the downward movement on my T/T started up and worked just fine for the next hour or so that I had her out. Loaded her back on the trailer and she settled back into my transom saver like old times. Still don't know what caused it to act up, but I'm glad we've got things back to normal as fishing season is upon us! Tight lines!

Comment

If the down solenoid contacts are dirty (can't clean them), it would also act like bad connections. If problem resurfaces, check to see if voltage is going across main contacts each time you press the down button. You may want to have a spare solenoid to swap if problem persists.

Good luck. Good luck fishing.

Comment

Several years ago I was having somewhat similar experience
                          My problem turned out to be the t/t switch on the side
                          I took the switch apart and water had penetrated and compromised it
                          Cleaned the corrosion out and it worked again however I then ordered a new one
                          Try this disconnect one of the switches and see if the other will operate up/down correctly If the doesn't work try the other way
                          Art

Comment

Working...
                          X