Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1988 dt75tc shift connection

Hello All,
    I am working on a 1988 dt75. I replaced the water pump and now I am having a difficult time getting the lower unit shift rod and clutch shaft connection to mate up. How is this done? What I am encountering is that every time I push the lower unit into place, the shift rod is to short for the clutch shaft to mate with the hole in the shift rod. How does one hold the shift shaft in the fully extended position?
    Any and all help is greatly appreciated
    Thanks
    rcb130

You don't. Put the shifter where connector is in highest position, then You leave the rod below connector, until you get the bolts in lower Unit. Then you pull shift rod up, and shifter back until connector and shift rod match up, sometimes you may need to turn the prop a little to get the gears to shift. But make sure that all gears engage properly at this stage, especially if the locking nut was loose, as many times somehow (?gremlins?) that connector seems to move, and needs to be re-adjusted to get all gears to shift completely. No one wants to launch their boat and only have neutral & forward/or reverse, not all three.

Good luck. Happy boating.

Comment

Thanks Solarman,
      The only question I have now is, How do I reach the shift rod to pull it up? It is hidden under the lower carb where you cannot even see it.
      rcb130

Comment

Ok, how did you disconnect the shift rod to remove the lower unit?
        i see that yours doesn't have the adjustable connector that mine has. Your shift rod appears to be one piece to the lower unit.
        Would you be able to reach the shift rod if you removed the oil tank? Or is the carb still in the way?

Post back when able, good luck.

Comment

shift rod is one piece. Carb is the problem with this installation. shift rod almost acts like something in the lower cover is not permitting free travel up and down. It moves freely when not on motor though.
          I will see if I can see any obstructions in the shift rod passageway to the clutch rod. Perhaps a dust seal has moved out of position and is blocking free travel.
          rcb130

Comment

shift connection is complete. I had to remove the grommet in the lower engine cover. Shift rod stayed in upright position without it. Hit the hole in the shift rod with the clutch rod on the second attempt.
            All is well now in Central Pa.
            Thanks to all who offered help/advice
            Be Well
            rcdb130

Comment

Working...
            X