No announcement yet.

Smis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry that you've had so many problems with your motor. I have surmised from what I seen on these pages and other fora that good Suzuki mechanics are hard to come by, at least in the US. I'm thankful not to have had any issues with my DF150. Also seems to be a dearth of dedicated Suzuki repair facilities in Texas. Rockport and San Antonio are the only two places available to me, if I ever need help. Well, at least let us know if that oil reminder reset procedure works on your 250AP. Might help others in the future.
    Mike
    μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

One point that seems a little fuzzy here, is that you keep referring to "resetting the SMIS gauge". The oil change warning is not originating in the SMIS gauge; it's coming from the engine itself. The SMIS gauge is simply a messenger, displaying the information that the engine is broadcasting. If you didn't have an SMIS gauge, then the engine would be using some other means to tell you to change the oil. For example, on my DF25A, my first oil change warning occurred before I had any gauges installed, and an LED on the front of the engine began blinking to tell me I needed to change the oil. It so happens that I installed the gauge before changing the oil, and when I installed an SMIS gauge, the gauge began saying "Change Oil", just as the LED had been telling me to do.

I don't know if your motor has LEDs on the front; if not, then it must have some other means (perhaps a beep from the remote control?) to tell you about the oil change. Suzuki does not or can not assume that you have an SMIS gauge installed to tell you when you need to change the oil. It's just a feature of the (optional) SMIS gauges.

In other words, you are not resetting the SMIS gauge. You are resetting the engine, at which point the engine will stop sending the warning condition to the gauge.

Comment

I may not understand all of the Terminology but after changing the oil there has to be a way to reset the motor or the gauge so that the gauge stops telling me to change my oil and beeping the alert sound.
        Anyway I had a very helpful service technician in Rockport send me a copy of the page with the instructions.
        If this works and I am sure it will, I will pass the info on to others with newer model Suzuki motors.

Thank you all for your help and input.

Comment

Originally posted by Harper View Post
          Sorry that you've had so many problems with your motor. I have surmised from what I seen on these pages and other fora that good Suzuki mechanics are hard to come by, at least in the US. I'm thankful not to have had any issues with my DF150. Also seems to be a dearth of dedicated Suzuki repair facilities in Texas. Rockport and San Antonio are the only two places available to me, if I ever need help. Well, at least let us know if that oil reminder reset procedure works on your 250AP. Might help others in the future.
          Clarification (None of the problems I have experienced with this boat had anything to do with the Suzuki Motor
          ), This motor runs better than any other motor I have ever had.
          I was just trying to find out how to reset the gauge / motor after changing the oil so I don't keep hearing the beeping and seeing the notification on the screen.
          All of the problems I encountered where due to poor rigging of the extra's I had added to the boat when purchased. and a pinched fuel line in the gas tank area.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptJoe View Post
            I may not understand all of the Terminology but after changing the oil there has to be a way to reset the motor or the gauge so that the gauge stops telling me to change my oil and beeping the alert sound.
            Anyway I had a very helpful service technician in Rockport send me a copy of the page with the instructions.
            If this works and I am sure it will, I will pass the info on to others with newer model Suzuki motors.

Thank you all for your help and input.
            2014DF25ARS is correct. It's the ECM in the motor that monitors the time on the engine, and the ECM that generates an oil change reminder. When you figure out what reset procedure works on your DF250AP, it will be the ECM that you are sending the reset signal to. Then the ECM will stop sending the message to the gauge and the beeping will stop.
            Mike
            μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

2014DF25ARS/Harper, your point is correct and well stated for those who don't understand. I have learned from the Frankengauge project that the gauge stores no data other than the config parameters, all other data is flushed when powered off. To include the engine data from the interface. Everything is resent when the network is powered on.

CaptJoe, I concur with your assessment of the dealer in Conroe, the Austin dealer ain't much better. Masters in SA seems to have it together!

Comment

I try not to refer to the SMIS or even the new Suzuki colour devices as "gauges", instead I call them what they are: DISPLAYS. Or "engine data displays".

And they are basically, dumb displays at that. Which might be just a little bit harsh because they do have useful functions in that they can do things like configure interfaces and calculate fuel economy based on data they receive from other devices.

But basically, they simply display bits of information that they get from devices on the network, including the engine via the interface.

This is proven by the fact that, if the OP were to remove the SMIS display that is showing the oil change reminder and beeping from his boat's motor, and attach it to another boat's motor, the reminder and beeping would disappear (unless the second motor was also due for a change!). And the display would the. Show the engine hours and relatd data from the new engine it was attached to.

So, think of the SMIS as a "display" and you will understand what they are telling you better.

Comment

Well I did it. I reset the SMIS Gauge
                  For those of you that have a newer model
                  Maybe 2015 and up
                  After changing my oil and filter

Turn Key to on position
                  Remove stop plate
                  press the start/stop button 3 times within 3 seconds
                  you will hear a beep
                  replace stop plate
                  turn key off
                  turn key back on warning gone until next time to change oil.

Thank you all for helping with this.
                  CaptJoe

Comment

Working...
                  X