steering issue 115HP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• steering issue 115HP

after inspecting newly acquired motor & boat.....seems steering is very hard. Unhooked cable and cable is free. engine seems binded on its pivot. greased everything up and still tough to turn. Any further help would be appreciated.

There was a range of years where grease didn't get to the pivot bearings correctly and would cause binding. Huge job if I remember correctly, can't remember what years but you didn't mention yours anyway.. You can google upper bushing seized and probably find it.. Think it was early DF series but not DF***a series

Comment

I have seen similar reports on all different brands of outboards. Usually due to insufficient attention to keeping the grease up to the pivot. The old grease hardens up, things bind up. Should be greased every 6 months of more often in extreme use conditions.

You need to get the old grease out and new fresh grease in there. It depends on how bad it is, but you can try pumping heaps of new grease in thru the zerks and working the motor side to side, then pumping in more grease. Repeat.

I have also seen reports of people using heat (very carefully) on the outside of the pivot tube to soften the old grease inside the pivot tube up, then pumping new grease in.

Comment

I am having the very same issue on my pair of 2001 DF70's and plan to try and replace the swivel brackets to correct the issue. Apparently the is a way to do this without having to remove the powerhead. Wishing for the best here, since I have tried heating the column, greasing, using corrosion remover, etc. and it is still almost impossible to push the engine left to right with the steering piston disconnected from the bracket. I am expecting a significant amount of cursing will take place....

Can anyone offer any tips..?

Comment

So last night I dropped the lower unit, disconnected the shift rod from the powerhead, removed the circlip from the bottom of the steering bracket, remove the two lower bracket nuts from the mid section. Easy stuff. I needed a shallow think wall 17mm socket to get the two upper bracket nuts off so I can pull the engine from the mounting bracket and suspend from my engine lift while I try and remove/free up the steering bracket. Will send updates soon with some pictures.....

Comment

udgate......I pumped tons of grease into it along with some transmission fluid. I took loose the steering linkage and removed the tilt pin to lean the motor forward so oil/grease could flow to upper pivot bushing. Then I turned the motor back & forth by hand...much easier leaned like this..........took a little work but now loose as a goose.

Comment

Heating does work, but the whole upper 1/3 pivot-tube area has to get hot enough for the grease to bubble up around the upper pivot seam. I have had to do many older motors that siezed up. I use a hand held propane tank with a turbo-torch tip (available at home depot, lowes, etc.). It takes about 20-30 minutes - be careful to not heat plastic parts or wiring in the area.

Good luck.

Comment

I think leaning it forward all the way put oil in my intake.......now getting a 3-2 code. Going to clean passage and install a new map sensor......how this helps get rid of the code.

Comment

Working...
                X