forward gear won't engage DT 115 S

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• forward gear won't engage DT 115 S

Brother borrowed boat hit stump took it to a suzuki shop his 700 bucks. ran fine for a year. the next couple started not engaging.let off the throttle couple tries it engaged. put on new cables and prop hub on ss prop. left me out on the water won't fully engage. it will let you slightly more than idle back. at my shop it clicks over the dogs in forward,rev it locks right in.broke it open all gears are meshing fine forward side of dogs looked good rev ehhh.push pin looked discolored forward gear backup shim 0.75 looked bad on one side.replaced em with new dog and sping.buttoned it all up no forward gear.clicks off the dogs.rev fine.any ideas????

If lower unit still off, can you manually move shift rod and engage all three positions (F,N,R)? If can, then may just need to have rod position adjusted? If not engaging all three, then my guess is something isn't together correctly inside?

Best I can offer, but visually impaired on this end. Good luck.

Comment

Adjusted midsection rod almost off the rod.

Comment

But between the rod adjustment, and cable adjustment, you should be able to move the shift rod a considerable amount, if the lower unit will engage all three positions.

Post back when able. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Solarman View Post
          But between the rod adjustment, and cable adjustment, you should be able to move the shift rod a considerable amount, if the lower unit will engage all three positions.

Post back when able. Good luck.
          adjusted cable at throttle at shift lever connection and at lower unit connection. then unhooked each connection and mannually tried. Just no forward gear. wondering about suzuki shop repair,0.75 forward gear shim wear against forward gear bearing holder. shims not to move,i had wear.thinking going to standard 1.0.My rev thruster is 2.6 (1 is .050 and 1 is .055) norm is 2.4.then see where my thrust play is. its now at .006 with no load on it.any ideas?

Comment

If not getting all three gear positions, then something isn't right in the gear case? Can't give you much help there. If something is worn, those parts need to be replaced. If the clutch/shift dog isn't engaging either the forward, or reverse gear, there has to be a reason, either it's worn, or something isn't assembled correctly?

Good luck.

Comment

You can feel all three positions on the bench and mounted dogs not going forward enough to engage.

Comment

Then I'm guessing there is a spacer/ thrust washer or something in the wrong place, otherwise the ears on the shift dog or mating ears on the gear are worn. That shift dog has to mate fully into either gear.

It is not easy from my side of the forum to know where your problem is. My suggestion if you aren't familiar enough with these transmissions to find what is wrong, then you need to get it to a qualified mechanic that can help you.

Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                X