10 hp 4 stroke running problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10 hp 4 stroke running problem

Will start OK and idle. Will run on low rpm but cuts out on high rpm and loses rpm. Can keep it running by throttling back to low rpm. It will run then it will kick in to higher rpm for a short while before loosing rpm back to low rpm. It can be throttled up again and it repeats the lose of power and rpm. It seems like it is losing spark to one cylinder as it runs rough. Any ideas where to start. It is sparsely run maybe 8 times a year for less than 15 minutes an outing. Not a lot of hours on this motor. Plugs both look light brown on gap surface. Any ideas on what is going on.

Fresh fuel, ethanol free?

Comment

Have been using regular gas for 8yrs started last year using Premium but I'm lucky to go through a gallon a year. Short trip from dock to fishing spot. What would be the problem with ethanol? Have been out with this batch of gas 3x so far this year with out a problem but then I have not been running it much over the starting range as wife doesn't like a bouncing boat. Fresh gas each year in June as bass fishing starts mid June where I live.

Comment

Ethanol will separate out of the gas then attract water. You mentioned that it isn’t used too much so I thought old fuel. Pull some fuel from the tank and look at it through a clear container, if it doesn’t look like water then the fuel is starting to deteriorate. Easy place to start troubleshooting.

Comment

Just used the priming pump on the tank fuel hose to put about 8 oz in a mason jar. Could not see water so I added some and it just lays on the bottom of the jar When I get some time I'll empty it out and fill with fresh gas but I'm starting to think it is an electrical problem. Not a lot of free time the next few days but I can put the motor in a barrel and try running it there with the new gas. Problem is the boat is in the garage and the motor is bolted to the boat. Do not have a space at home to pull the boat out side where I can run the motor. have done it before but it is tedious to set up.

Comment

What colour was the fuel?

Comment

The best way I cab describe the fuel color would be the color of a ****en retriever that is sitting next to me. A very light ****en brown color. Definitely not clear. I hope that helps.

Comment

Fresh fuel will be clear. I would suggest that you empty your fuel tank (you can burn the old fuel in your car) and drain the fuel from your carburetor. I’m not familiar with the smaller Suzuki engines fuel system so I’m not much help on the specific details. Look for a drain plug on the bottom of your carburetor and drain that, I’m assuming you have a fuel filter, that will need to be replaced also. Basically start at the fuel tank and pull lines and empty them of fuel, check for fuel line deterioration (small bleck particles) keep working towards the engine untill you get to the carburetor. You thought maybe your problems are electrical which they could be but getting fresh fuel in the system would be a good first step. Perhaps one of the fourm members with a smaller Suzuki engine will chime in with the specifics concerning your fuel system.

Good luck.

Comment

I think that the carburator on this model is on the SB side of the motor. If you look from above then you can see a little screw. If you open this a little the you drain the carb. Better is to remove it and clean it thoroughly. Takes about 30 minutes. Hardest part is putting on the throttle clip.
                  Regards, Martin
                  DF200 2007

Comment

Murry I think your right about the fuel system. I run the motor dry at the dock to keep the carburetor empty so don't put it away for the winter with fuel in it. So I dumped the gas from the fuel tank and pumped what was in the hose out with the bulb in the line. Put new regular octane gas in the tank We went fishing today and it started ok. Sputtered a little but ran. It ran ok on low throttle but on the way off the lake it was not quite right but if I pumped the bulb it smoothed out. Did not much of a squeeze to do it. So I need to find where the fuel filter is and where to get one. The only other thing is I might not have had the fuel line quick disconnect on all the way when I had the first problem. Made sure that was not the case today. Will see what happens the next time out on the lake which might be next week. Thought you might like to know what was going on. I hate it when people call about their troubles and then you don't hear back when they are ok.

Comment

On this forum search “bulb” you may have an other problem with your fuel system. I don’t run regular fuel in my toys, I burn premium full that contains zero ethanol. A Google search will identify gas stations near you that sell ethanol free fuel. I also add a fuel stabilier to the fuel, personally I’ve had good luck with SeaFoam.

Comment

Working...
                      X