DF90 Melted Internal Wiring Harness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DF90 Melted Internal Wiring Harness

Wondering if anyone has run into the issue of a melted internal wiring harness - first problem I've had with my 2014 DF 90 and while it's under warranty, still trying to troubleshoot the cause of this.

Backstory:
    Engine did an all day trip and engine flush, sat for two days and upon launch would not start. Turning the key was dead silence, no cranking or turning - kinda like when the boat is in gear or the kill switch cable pulled when trying to start. A Fells wireless kill switch system had been installed 3 months earlier and the engine had logged about 75hrs under the system. Checked the fuse to wireless kill switch system - it was intact. Pulled the kill switch cable and reset it - tried again, nothing. Utilized the over ride mode to the wireless kill switch, tried again, nothing. Then get a faint whiff of something burning but unsure if its me since I'm at a busy ramp on a Sunday (is that 2 stroke smell or me?). Try reseting the wireless kill switch and trying again, nothing. Unlock the engine cover and smoke filters out as I begin lifting it. Then I see this on the port side of the engine.

The parts desk at my boat store says the fried component isn't replaceable, its part of the internal electrical wiring harness. Since it's under warranty, took it to my authorized dealer. They're ordering a new harness to even begin diagnosing what caused this. If anyone has had this experience or recommendations on diagnosing what could cause something like this, appreciate the input.
    Attached Files

Need a little help in how best to track down a hard to find part. OEM Part Number: 36610-87L50 (HARNESS ASSY, WIRING).

While my engine is under warranty, I'm finding my dealer can't get the part until Sept 15 - leaving me off the water for over a month in the middle of summer .

Called Suzuki HQ and the best they would offer is that once the part arrived from Japan on Sept 15th they'd overnight rather than ground ship to my dealer AND should I track down the part from someone who has it on a shelf, Suzuki HQ says they won't reimburse me, I'll have to eat the $500+ cost.

Was so happy with my Suzuki prior to this - to the point that in my search for bigger older boat I was looking for something older I could repower with Suzuki twins - rethinking that if this is the way Suzuki is with their parts and warranty.

Comment

I just cut and paste your part number to this website and it said ships to Canada in 2-3 days. No mention of backorder. I don’t have an account with these people so I couldn’t go thru the checkout where the backorder notice might show up. Did give quite a list of other engines it fits, perhaps you can find a used one off a scraped engine?
      Good luck

Comment

Yeah, boats.net, right? I called them and they noted that anything they don't have in the shelf, they auto-list as 2-3 days under the assumption the manufacturer has the part and stock and will ship. In my instance, they noted the part is not in stock at Suzuki and would be backordered to Sept 15th.

Comment

That sucks, by the time you get the new harness installed it will be just in time for ice fishing season!

https://www.kijiji.ca/o-west-country...ferral=organic

Give these people a call, they are always selling used outboard parts, might get lucky.
          Last edited by Murray; 08-20-2018, 05:34 PM.

Comment

Thanks Murray, I registered on the site and sent a few emails to posts related to keeping used outboard parts.

Comment

Working...
            X