Ignition key "ON" but no power, have to turn further

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition key "ON" but no power, have to turn further

That's a very wordy title. Now that my engine is put back together, I'm on to some smaller housekeeping issues. When I turn my ignition key to the ON position, nothing happens. No beep, no gauges spring to life, etc. But if I put just a bit (and I mean a tiny bit) of clockwise pressure on the key to turn it towards START, but not to actually start the engine, I get the usual warning tone, my tach sweeps, fuel gauge comes to life, etc. Everything else functions completely normal with the start process.

Surely this is something simple. I thought about spraying some electrical contact cleaner down into the ignition switch itself, but figured I'd ask to see if this might be a common issue. Worse case a new switch is only 80 bucks or so, but thought there might be something I could try first.

Sounds like dirty switch contacts, or bad?
    You don't mention what the year, or size motor you're taking about. It is helpful to know these things, age and motor can tell us if there are features your motor might have, that could give us a clue?
    When we get our crystal balls working, you won't have to help us with such things.
    Until then it can help.
    Maybe we should remember your motor from other posts? I guess we could search your posts?
    Liquid inside the switch might help loosen mechanisms, but may cause short circuit? Don't recommend.
    Just noticed above posts, 2003, df 140, with corrosion issues.
    Post back if still need to.
    Last edited by Solarman; 04-27-2016, 04:16 PM.

Comment

Yes, thank you for breaking out your crystal ball to see in a nearby post that I have a 2003 DF140.

Liquid electrical contact cleaner will not cause a short circuit - after all, it is meant to be sprayed on electrical contacts - however it should be allowed to dry after spraying. I'll give that a shot and see how it goes. Like I said the ignition works every time, it's just that at the mechanical "ON" stopping point for the key, it's not quite on. I suspect it's just a bit of dirt or corrosion at that point on the contacts from sitting a few months without being exercised. I'll try the contact cleaner and between that and using it more, I'm betting it will improve.

Thanks for your help...I think.
      Last edited by Auburn02; 04-27-2016, 04:48 PM.

Comment

A little WD40 might help as well
        If it was just the contacts the contact cleaner should help
        However the most effective way might be to kill the power spray the contact cleaner in and while it is fresh run the key through all positions or the cleaner is not going to do much
        I am thinking the WD40 because something sounds like it is not centering up
        The spring mechinisim inside may need a bit of help to pull itself back into position and I don't think the WD40 is going to hurt anything if it does get on the contacts
        Art

Comment

Working...
        X