Flushing swivel steering grease

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flushing swivel steering grease

Ive got seastar hydraulic steering installed on my '07 DF175 and I have noticed my steering pretty stiff to where I need to use both hands to turn the wheel while its tucked all the way in. It does loosen up when I trim out 50%. I believe my steering tube needs to be flushed out. Can someone point out in a picture where it would be safe to apply heat using a heat gun to loosen up the old grease?

I have an ‘06 175
    do you use a grease gun to grease this section, until you greasrczeet fresh lube out the top and bottom?
    That would be the first thing with your heat gun you can carefully heat the section between the top and bottom seals

Comment

Yes I am using a manual grease gun and pump the various grease zerks until fresh stuff is oozing out of seal areas. So far this has not helped the stiff steering while trimmed in and applying throttle.

Comment

First you would want to verify what the problem really is.

I would suggest disconnecting the steering rod from the front of the motor so that you can manually turn the motor L & R. If it turns easily then the pivot tube is not the issue.

Comment

Are you talking about removing this bolt? Capture2.JPG

Comment

Yes, you can remove that bolt to see if problem is in steering of boat, or swival pivot system of motor.

Comment

Ok so I finally got around to taking that bolt off and moved the outboard both directions. It moved either way with very little effort and no binding. What would be causing the extreme effort to turn the boat to port only when underway and tucked in. When trimmed out 50 percent and on plane is fine, also sitting at the dock turning either way is fine as well.

Comment

Have you checked the position of the steering torque compensation fin located on the cavitation plate? If this isn't position correctly it could be causing you problem.

Jim

Comment

Currently the trailing edge of torque tab is positioned one tick over to the starboard side(from center).

Comment

I think you may have a problem with your hydraulic steering pump, and probably nothing much to do with the engine. Although setting that tab straight may help a little.

The hydraulic pump should have valves that prevent torque being transferred back thru to the steering wheel. Maybe talk to your helm manufacturer or go to their website and see if there is any info there about this.

Comment

Working...
                    X