1984 DT85 Problem Child

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1984 DT85 Problem Child

hey guys, im working on a older dt85 thats doing my head 8n, ive never come across such a problematic engine, to cut a ling story short, motor had 2 years off, as it stunk of stale fuel i pulled the carbs n cleaned them, it started fine had a good fart and settled down, today i wanted to fine tune things and sort out the dodgey control cables, started the motor it immediately shot up to 4 thou rpm in neutral, we couldnt shut it off , choking did nothing key did nothing had to pull fuel line and let it run dry, went to start aga8n, no go not a spit fart or burp, checked spark its gone wtf moment, nothing i did worked, any ideas why?
    also need to know how to correctly set up the control cables engine end, coz when u engage reverse with engine off you get like 8 mm of movement on advance but throttle butterflys dont move, how do i set the advance up correctly, the two notches are lined up. Im beginning to hate this engine.

Love a picture of the correct wiring harness, its a white DT85 no vro

Comment

Are you looking at the butterflies at the front of the carbs, those are the choke butterflies that should be left open normally, by the manual choke lever. The choke then can be activated by the choke solenoid when the key is pushed in, while on. If choke solenoid isn't working when key is on, it may be stuck, or dirty?

If motor doesn't have fire at plugs, check kill-switch, if kill-switch isn't working check ground locations at motor.

If you have cleaned the carbs properly (by soaking with only the jets removed), and used compressed air to blow every pas-sage clear, then put everything back together as it was, then set the air mixture screws by the manual, you should only have to set the idle stop screw if it was changed?

I don't have a manual for your motor, but you should get one if you need a wiring schematic for the motor.

If you have changed any linkages at the motor, you will have to have a suzuki service manual to re-set them properly. Once set-up never change them.

The control cables should clip right in place as long as you connect them as they were previously.

You can take pics, and include them in future posts to better help us understand what problems you are having.

Your motor does show the oil pump assy in the parts list, so it most likely is still there. Again, you should have the manual to check this pump. The motor has been sitting for 2 years (or more?), and should only be run on pre-mix oil and gas until everything is working properly.

Good luck, post back when able to let us know what is going on.

Comment

Working...
      X