No announcement yet.

New member and new Suzuki owner DF40A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Admittedly, I am itching to move forward and substitute the DF50 silencer holder into my DF40 and see what she does. I dug into the parts diagram and found where this part is located, but not exactly sure which way to access? I also assume there is no way to install it incorrectly given the tab located on the side of the silencer.
    Last edited by Pot Hole; 11-23-2016, 10:58 PM.

Comment

The service manual shows that the starter motor needs to be completely removed to gain access but I just unbolted it and lifted it enough so I could get a socket on the 6mm bolt securing the silencer. I think they make it tricky for a reason.

I never replaced the 6mm bolt (12) as the silencer (10) is light plastic and fits extremely snugly onto the silencer holder (11). I ran it that way for many hours. It didn't budge. If I do ever replace it, it will be with a socket head cap screw allowing removal without unbolting the starter motor.

http://www.iboats.com/mall/image/view/1/3/7_43.png
      Last edited by mrpister; 11-23-2016, 11:08 PM.

Comment

Hi, mrpister. I don't think that surface of holes in silence holder determines airflow 1 to 1. I hope that map sensor and ecu will do their job. Sorry for my english. Also starting with my tests in spring.

Comment

I was looking at my boat in the garage as the winter solstice arrived. At least now the days are getting longer here in the northern hemisphere. Alas, it is at least four more months until I can try the 60 hp silencer holder.

Have any of our southern hemisphere members tried it yet? I would love to know the results.

Wishing everyone a Very Merry Christmas!!! And a New Year of boating and fishing excellence!

Peter

Comment

Originally posted by mrpister View Post
            Have any of our southern hemisphere members tried it yet? I would love to know the results.
            I'm contemplating giving it a go after the first of the year. It's usually our coldest months of the year, but we are subject to have some 60 degree days scattered amongst the 30 degree days, so I should be able to get on the water and give this a whirl. If I get some "saddle time" I will post up my results. Unfortunately, I do not have a tach on my boat (at least not yet), so I may just have to wing it and see how my motor performs using the 50 silencer vs my current 40.

Stay tuned!

Comment

Summer here in good old Aus, got a bit impatient so I fitted the 60 silencer holder and gave it a go. *** heaps more grunt out of the hole, only problem is the over rev from not propping up to suit the new hp, I do believe there are no issues experienced from this mod everything ran fine, no alarms although I would also add that it is probably not running with any more air than it used to whilst cruising as it reaches full revs at an earlier throttle setting due to the small prop so I am of the opinion that the ecu has compensated for the different throttle position quite well, another thought I have had is that the engine may never reach the full 60hp due to the 60 revving an extra 500rpm than its smaller brothers do "this may require an ECU change" to gain whatever extra revs/hp that is needed to get to the full 60hp unless there is some other component that provides the over rev. In summary I am absolutely stoked with the performance it even sounds so much more powerful with the air intake unrestricted, pulling from a standing start is phenomenal compared to before so I'll stick with it and report any progress or problems. total cost of mods $12.00.
              Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by allycat View Post
                Summer here in good old Aus, got a bit impatient so I fitted the 60 silencer holder and gave it a go. *** heaps more grunt out of the hole, only problem is the over rev from not propping up to suit the new hp, I do believe there are no issues experienced from this mod everything ran fine, no alarms although I would also add that it is probably not running with any more air than it used to whilst cruising as it reaches full revs at an earlier throttle setting due to the small prop so I am of the opinion that the ecu has compensated for the different throttle position quite well, another thought I have had is that the engine may never reach the full 60hp due to the 60 revving an extra 500rpm than its smaller brothers do "this may require an ECU change" to gain whatever extra revs/hp that is needed to get to the full 60hp unless there is some other component that provides the over rev. In summary I am absolutely stoked with the performance it even sounds so much more powerful with the air intake unrestricted, pulling from a standing start is phenomenal compared to before so I'll stick with it and report any progress or problems. total cost of mods $12.00.
                Cheers.
                Excellent news!

Thanks for reporting back with your our results. I agree that the rev limit will be hard coded to the ecu so we will be almost certainly be stuck with the rev limit for the 40.

I haven't got around to purchasing the required part yet, was still debating whether to go 50 or 60, but now you've convinced me!! The 60 it will be!

Currently our 40A is a bit overpropped and we can't hit full revs, so with some luck the extra performance will see us hitting the rev limit.

Was it straightforward to remove/replace?

And can you PM me with where you bought the part when you get a moment!?

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlighter View Post
                  Excellent news!

Thanks for reporting back with your our results. I agree that the rev limit will be hard coded to the ecu so we will be almost certainly be stuck with the rev limit for the 40.

I haven't got around to purchasing the required part yet, was still debating whether to go 50 or 60, but now you've convinced me!! The 60 it will be!

Currently our 40A is a bit overpropped and we can't hit full revs, so with some luck the extra performance will see us hitting the rev limit.

Was it straightforward to remove/replace?

And can you PM me with where you bought the part when you get a moment!?
                  Cheers Moonlighter, its no big deal to get the silencer off, you do not have to remove or loosen the starter if you use a socket meant for a screw gun with an extension as it will fit down in the gap if you massage the silencer a bit to get it it past, once you remove the screw the rest is simple - swap the restrictor with the new silencer holder, change out the 10mm hex with allen key screw (so its easier to replace) put the cowl back on and enjoy. the part was sourced right here on this forum in the parts section (can't recall the part # but its easy to find ie; Mr Pister post) cost $12.00 aud of which the majority was postage, arrived in aus in less than 10 days. I estimate that without the extra rpm its probably got the full 60hp the only thing missing will be the extra legs up top. you be the judge, I was very impressed..
                  Cheers.

Comment

Thanks!! I will get onto ordering it.

Comment

Cheers.
                      Wonderful. Thanks for posting. My DF40A rev limiter alarms at 6200 rpm. The 60 is rated up to 6300 rpm I believe. So you should be getting close to full HP. Here in Canada, the 60 comes with a 16" pitch prop as standard. (its 13" on the 40).

Time for me to buy a 16" prop! Thanks for the good news. I will switch out from the 50 silencer to the 60 in the spring.

Comment

I just found a 14" pitch stainless prop that will fit my 40 at a very good price. My understanding is that SS props don't flex as much, so I wonder if a 14" SS will be close to a 16" aluminum rpm wise?

Comment

Nope. Better choice is 16" aluminium. If your boat is lightweight 14" SS will hit rev limiter with 60 hp setup.

Comment

..the part was sourced right here on this forum in the parts section (can't recall the part # but its easy to find ie; Mr Pister post) cost $12.00 aud of which the majority was postage, arrived in aus in less than 10 days.
                            I tried to search the part number Mr. Pister gave us for the 50 HP silencer holder (13820-88L10) on Boats.net, but the search function said it couldn't find anything with that number. My motor is a 2002 model and I went to the parts diagram for the 2002 DF50 and it showed different part numbers for what appeared to be the silencer holder. I assume the part numbers possibly changed for different model years, however, I do want to make sure I get the right one to try on my DF40. Based on the information provided, do you think the silencer holder that Mr. Pister noted will fit on my motor? I can order that particular part on another site.
                            Last edited by Pot Hole; 02-04-2017, 08:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pot Hole View Post
                              I tried to search the part number Mr. Pister gave us for the 50 HP silencer holder (13820-88L10) on Boats.net, but the search function said it couldn't find anything with that number. My motor is a 2002 model and I went to the parts diagram for the 2002 DF50 and it showed different part numbers for what appeared to be the silencer holder. I assume the part numbers possibly changed for different model years, however, I do want to make sure I get the right one to try on my DF40. Based on the information provided, do you think the silencer holder that Mr. Pister noted will fit on my motor? I can order that particular part on another site.
                              This whole thread's discussion is about the DF40/50/60 "A" series family of engines.

These 3 engines all share the same engine block, cc capacity and just about every other component. Which is why it is possible to share parts between them.

However your 2002 model motor is from a completely different earlier series - so this discussion is simply not relevant to your engine at all.

So sorry, you will not be able to use any of the parts numbers quoted.

From memory, I think the early 40's like yours may have been the upper end of the old series 30/40 engine family - you would need to do some research on that - but if yours is already the highest hp in its engine family, then you have no chance of exchnaging parts from a higher hp engine in the family to try to gain hp.
                              Last edited by Moonlighter; 02-07-2017, 01:06 AM.

Comment

Ok an update on the silencer holder upgrade for the DF40A ---- > DF60A

Ordered 2 x 60A silencer holders. One for a "lurker" here on the forum, let's just say he's a salty old dog, and one for me.

My salty mate has installed his, and gone for a test run.

His verdict?

"OMG OMG �� doesn't even sound like the same motor. Was previously pulling 5800rpm WOT, now it hits 6150 and then the rev limiter, with a quarter turn of throttle still to go.
                                Really noticeable how it hits the revs straight up when you accelerate away, almost cavitating the prop.
                                Runs fine at idle and at all revs. A new bigger pitch prop required, will be ordering it asap. ��"

Mine was fitted this morning, but windy weather here at the moment has prevented a test.

I was amazed how easy it was to remove/install.

Just take one small hex head bolt out to allow the air intake on front of motor to come off, slip one air hose out, then the old silencer holder, which is a rubber ring with a metal centre part, just slides off.

Then slip the new one on, put the intake piece back on and tighten the bolt up and it's done.

The hardest part is that the bolt you have to undo is in behind the air intake and it's a bit hard to get at, but the 10mm hex roof screw bit and skinny drill extensions solve that, plus a bit of wriggling to get it in there.

Will report back when I have tested ours.
                                Last edited by Moonlighter; 02-07-2017, 12:59 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X