New member and new Suzuki owner DF40A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Pbodsw View Post

2022 update: Redlowrey was correct at the time of posting. For 2010/11 years, DF60 injectors had a different part number, but from 2012 to current they reverted back to 15710-85K00 so the same injector is now shared across all 40/50/60 models.

You can't just change the silencer holder and expect to get the full 60hp. Needs a remap or replacement ecu.

DF40a has a lower over-rpm limit of 6200rpm
    DF50a shares same 22° ignition advance of DF40
    DF60a has ignition advance of 25°
    DF50/60 High Thrust (4.1/4" gearcase) models have a different map to the 3.1/2" engines, probably better adjusting torque characteristics for the 2.417:1 ratio (normal is 2.28:1).
    So for clarity, does this mean we can change a 40 to a 50 with no issues i.e. just the plate as ecu is the same, but if we want to go from 40/50 to 60 then we should change the ECU as well as plate ?????

Comment

• If you want to get 100% of the 60 hp then yes, need to change other stuff.

My experience is that you get heaps extra grunt just by replacing the silencer holder. Must be between 50 and 60 somewhere. For the $20 cost of the silencer holder, thats enough extra Hp for most of us. And $ per hp gained is excellent.

The extra $ it will cost to go full bottle will be of questionable value.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pugo1969 View Post

So for clarity, does this mean we can change a 40 to a 50 with no issues i.e. just the plate as ecu is the same, but if we want to go from 40/50 to 60 then we should change the ECU as well as plate ?????
        - Always change to the 60 silencer holder.
        - Fitting a 60 silencer holder is just as safe as fitting the 50 so why do that?

Remap or replace the ecu to get full power. 40 ecu has lower rpm limit than the 50 so not the same. Therefore more benefits to modify a 40 ecu than the 50 ecu. Fitting a 50 silencer holder to a 40 does not give you 50hp.

40 & 50 have less ignition advance than 60. 22° advance is safer but gives less power.

Remapping is far cheaper than buying a new ecu and you could have a useful power boost over the stock map if you so choose. These engines reliably produce nearly 80hp on premium unleaded and over 70hp on regular.

Edit: I have no affiliation with the tuners linked below. JB Mechanical, Australia and Outboardtune, NZ. Results from others will vary.

https://m.facebook.com/permalink.php...69785846449190

image_2671.jpg

Outboardtune.com-dyno-Suzuki-df50--1280x524.jpg
        These results are from direct testing on our in-house water-brake dyno. As you can easily see, the gains in both HP and torque are undeniable. These are genuine results, from an actual Suzuki 50 Engine we tuned for our customer. We take pride in being the best at what we do for boaties like us. […]
        Last edited by Pbodsw; 08-03-2022, 03:24 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Moonlighter View Post
          The extra $ it will cost to go full bottle will be of questionable value.
          Yes and a word of warning. The ECM can recognize which harness it's attached to. Although physically the same, the harness part numbers are as diverse as the ECM and even for high thrust versions. If there's no match a 4-1 error code will be thrown and you are stuck in limp mode. Crafty Suzuki. An id chipped harness. Leaves you two options:

1. Buy a DF60 ECM but also the corresponding harness. $$$!!
          2. Get a remap. The tuner must know to modify the original ECM with completely revised values, can't just clone the 60 ECM.

Comment

• JB Mechanical had two DF40a's in recently and got one of them to 82hp on 95 octane fuel. Interesting video they posted of the dyno:
            (Also good info in the comments)
            https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...line&__tn__=-R

Comment

• Hey guys, I know I’m late to the thread but I have a Suzuki DF 40A and I want to put the silencer holder from the DF 60A on this spring. I know some of you have already done this and it’s been a few years. Just wondering if anyone has had any engine troubles with the set up.

Comment

• None that Im aware of. My boat with the 40>60 is now owned by a friends son and is still going just fine. Another one done at the same time owned by a good friend is also AOK.

Comment

• Perfect thanks . I’ll post my my results once the ice is gone! I have a 18 foot pontoon , with a df40a, WOT is 25km/h, curious what kind of gains I’ll get . I’m in sudbury ,ontario . Ice out won’t be for a while

Comment

Working...
                  X