Removing cylinder head anode covers - DF140

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing cylinder head anode covers - DF140

I just replaced the anodes located at the rectifier cover no problem.

But I'm having trouble removing the anode covers located on the cylinder head. The bolts come out fine but the covers have as yet not come loose.

Any ideas on the best safe way to remove these - I certainly don't want to break something.

An image of the anode covers is attached.

Thanks,
    Nick
    Attached Files

I used a small soft blow hammer and tapped to rotate the anode holder until I saw some separation from the block and used screw driver to pry loose. Make sure you have new gaskets.

Jim

Comment

The proper way
      insert and turning a 10 mm bolt will function as s screw jack
      Art

Comment

I tried the 10 mm bolt method today. It seemed to be taking a good bit of force with no movement. I also tried pulling on the 10mm bolt but the cover did not budged.

When using the bolt as a jack, just how much force can be used? If too much force could the smaller internal threads get damaged? Does the 10 mm bolt need to be stainless?

Thanks,
        Nick

Comment

I would go with stainless neon a bit softer metal if something gives it should be the bolt
          It's holiday only be the gasket material that is stuck
          Try penetrating oil overnight
          As you torque the 10 mm bolt try tapping it lightly
          It will come loose

Comment

Originally posted by macedonia View Post
            I tried the 10 mm bolt method today. It seemed to be taking a good bit of force with no movement. I also tried pulling on the 10mm bolt but the cover did not budged.

When using the bolt as a jack, just how much force can be used? If too much force could the smaller internal threads get damaged? Does the 10 mm bolt need to be stainless?

Thanks,
            Nick
            You shouldn't need too much effort to break the seal unless there is a salt build up inside, make sure the bolt you are using is the right thread pitch eg 10x1.25 or 10x1.5 and you not are forcing the bolt into the thread. Make sure you replace the orings and use some oring lube, and Use a vacuum cleaner to suck the salt out of the port when you get it apart.

Comment

The bolt I'm using is a 10mm x 1.25 x 20 (but not stainless. I'd need to order one).

I have the Suzuki specific o rings (as well as the anodes and gaskets).

Thank you for all the help. I'm new to this (obviously) so all the help is great.

More questions:

1. Could marine grease be used as the o ring lube or does it require something more specific?

2. I applied marine grease to the threads of the anode retaining bolt and anode cover bolts of the anodes on the rectifier cover. Is this an ok thing to do or should I remove it? I torqued the bolts per the Suzuki Service manual - 4.5 lbs

3. Should some sort of sealant be used on the gaskets used for the anode covers on the rectifier?

Thanks,
              Nick

Comment

Nick
                There is probably a better O-ring lubricant than grease
                Something better a lot of petroleum products are not good for rubber O-rings
                The manual I have is silent on lubing the O-ring
                It does recommend a silicon sealant on the outside of the securing bolt
                Like Redlowery mentioned -clean out the opening good with a vacuum

A small amount of grease on the threads will not hurt anything
                However #3
                No would not recommend any sealant on the gaskets if you ever want to get them apart again

Art

Comment

Working...
                X