Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1998 dt150 efi no spark

hi all back again with another motor issue that need some help with,
    motor previously had issue with ecu,replaced that and motor running well with no alarms etc.
    put boat into water and took out on four occasions.on last trip when out at sea boat hard to start so had to use rev lever which normally don't have to.got back into pier and boat stalled.restarted again using lever but engine revved up then died.could not start engine at all.engine will crank on starter but no start.
    checked spark plugs but no spark at all on any.shift neutral is ok,linked switch neutral in remote,still no start.
    have regular resistance on regulators.have 116v dc on white coil wire to ground with ignition on.
    only reading which seems out is condenser charge coil(for low speed) reading 210ohm (345-519 is norm)
    does this mean stator is bad and would this stop plugs from sparking?
    or is there something else I should look at.
    any help much appreciated thanks.

Yes, if low speed condenser charging coil is not good, motor will not start, no fire to plugs is a good example.

The magnets in my dt140 flywheel came loose while idling, and the low speed charge coil was damaged. I didn't have spark to any cylinders. Finally found a used one online, everything working fine again.

Good luck.

Comment

Dt 150 efi stator

thanks solarman.got hold of a used stator from shipwrecked salvage(excellent service and price).installed today and engine started up first crank.ran at idle for about an hour,weather too bad to attempt test run.engine is running at 800rpm and ticking over nice,but(there is always a but)every 10 mins or so I get a single beep and temp,rev and check engine light all come on at same time.engine stalls for a split second and then runs as normal.
      I don't know if this is a symptom of something bigger or should just be ignored and carry on boating.
      I did notice when changing stator that the gear count sensor looked a bit worn where two metal strips protrude from sensor.could this be causing the miss?
      or do you have any other thoughts on what it might be?
      thanks again,it really helps to have another opinion from someone who knows the engines and have come across same problems.

Comment

I don't have the 150, mine are 140's. The manual has resistance readings for the gear count coil, but that sensor has to read each tooth of the flywheel, so the distance to flywheel is critical.

But, if at 10 min intervals, I would think something else is acting up? One Thermostat sticking? One of the heat sensors getting too warm? Except when stat opens? If you have a laser temp gun ($25 ish, harbor freight), or borrow one, take readings near each stat till it does the miss, to see if any correlation. Also can check resistance of temp sensors to see if holding steady when miss occurs.

With monitor sending those signals, think along temp problems.

Good luck. Post back when able.

Comment

New to the forum, was trying to post a new post but can’t figure out how, so asking for help by replying here.

I have a 98 DT 150, no spark, have checked everything I can and the only thing I have found is that the CKP and gear counters are producing a lower voltage than what the manual suggests, is it possible that these could be preventing ignition spark.

thanks

Comment

Ok, first off you should start your own thread with your motor info, and your symptoms. Also what happened when to cause this? How it ran when all this started? Is this motor fuel injected, or carbs?

Do you have a Suzuki service manual for this motor?

Second, what is the CKP?

You only have one gear counting coil. If it is not reading by the suzuki manual, and it is the proper distance to flywheel, it might be bad?

Good luck, post back on what you find out.

Comment

I can’t figure out how to start my own thread. Motor is 98 DT150G, efi, was running fine last summer when a piston ring broke, have rebuilt the motor but now that is back on the boat it won’t fire. The CKP is the crank position sensor located on the port side of the flywheel.

i have the service manual and have run all of the diagnostic tests suggested and the only two tests out of spec were the CKP and gear counting coil voltage output. Both of those measure in spec for distance from the flywheel. CKP is .75mm and the gear counter is .654mm.

I have ordered the replacement parts just don’t like to throw money at parts to see if it solves the problem.

Comment

There is no CKP on 2 stroke motors? There is an ignition sensor and gear counting coil.

There is a CKP on 4 stroke motors, because it has cam shafts, but those motors are designated as "DF", not DT.

To start a new thread, click the New Topic button on the first page of the forum.

Good luck, post back on what you have.

Comment

Working...
                X