Melted connector between stator and regulator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Melted connector between stator and regulator

Took the 2005 DF 140 (Johnson) 35 miles into the Gulf of Mexico on a rough day. Engine ran fine, shut off and would not restart. Trim and gauge lights worked, acted like it was not in neutral. Troubleshhooting, leaning over transom in rough seas, and found the connector between stator and regulator disconnected. Reconnected and engine started and ran ran fine rest of trip, did not turn off the engine. At ramp and on hose starts great. Looking at connection at ramp it was clear there is an issue. I was wondering if the connector was coming loose and arching on trip out? Any help would be appreciated

Seems like I can only attach one picture, so I will reply with a second post with the second picture.
    Attached Files

Second image
    Attached Files

Comment

I would say that the loose connection at the plug would have caused the burnt connecter, on those early engines ignition supply came off a spliced connection at the main control relay, that's why the engine stopped. If it had of been a later engine it would not have stopped and may have caused a problem in the stator and rectifier.

Comment

Looking at the schematic, the connector that is burnt is the output of the voltage regulator. The input is the three wires from the stator and this is the power coming out of the regulator to the main relay. Page 106 of the factory manual gives some resistance readings to test the regulator, hope to get to it this weekend. Will update as I get more info, and appreciate any ideas

Craig

Comment

That's right and when the plug fell apart there was no battery voltage at the power relay and the engine stopped. That out put wire, depending on the batteries need could have up to 40 amps going through it. Being loose it would have been arcing and creating a lot of heat, Cut it out and reconnect it up.

Comment

Working...
          X