2003, 140-4 stroke.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2003, 140-4 stroke.

I have oil slightly running out a hole in the underside of my lower unit.
    Its not alot, not even puddling under the OB.
    Twice, I check the oil level. Its fine. Then use the boat, then the rev limiter holds the rpms to 2900. I come in and ck the oil and its not touching the stick??
    Yes, I let the engine down to level 30 min before checking the stick.
    Is my oil leaking out a lower seal, or into and out the exhaust???
    Could it be burning it off?

It seems your pumping oil out not leaking or burning, Have you any warning lights!,Low oil pressure is most likely setting the engine protection system off limiting RPM's to 3000. How long did you run the engine before rechecking the oil

Comment

Just Bought this in March. Used about six times. Oil full when purchased. Used it 3 times. Rev limiter, oil gone, not touching stick? Changed oil, with new filter. Used three times. Went 6 miles offshore trolling about two hours. Rev limiter kicks in, came in at 2900 rpms, 6 mph, Valves chattering. Oil gone. Not touching the dip stick. A small amount of oil runs out a hole on the underside of my lower unit? But not excessively.

Comment

Check oil cooler for leak.

Jim

Comment

Br, If it was burning oil there would be a far amount of smoke in the exhaust, so it must be dumping the oil into the water. Take the side covers off and run it on the muffs! there must be some tell tale sign showing the leak, Have you inspected the engine holder for corrosion ,do a search on this topic

Comment

Early 140's did have issues with oil coolers. Suggest you follow Jim's advice, remove the oil cooler and inspect.

Comment

Originally posted by brbrooks View Post
              I have oil slightly running out a hole in the underside of my lower unit.
              Its not alot, not even puddling under the OB.
              Twice, I check the oil level. Its fine. Then use the boat, then the rev limiter holds the rpms to 2900. I come in and ck the oil and its not touching the stick??
              Yes, I let the engine down to level 30 min before checking the stick.
              Is my oil leaking out a lower seal, or into and out the exhaust???
              Could it be burning it off?
              '' Mate the noise you can hear is your main and big end bearings rattling not your tappets, pull the pipes off your oil cooler and have a look, you will see the oil and water mixed if it is leaking. Even though the rev's were limited to 3000rpm that will destroy an engine in no time with no oil pressure.

Comment

I think if the oil cooler is leaking, there would be water in the sump. So if you are suggesting the oil side of things has more pressure than water, and cooler has corroded through into the water gallery, then wouldn't oil be mixing with water and sent overboard ? What are we talking about 5 or 6 liters of oil vanquish

Comment

Originally posted by catacom225 View Post
                  I think if the oil cooler is leaking, there would be water in the sump. So if you are suggesting the oil side of things has more pressure than water, and cooler has corroded through into the water gallery, then wouldn't oil be mixing with water and sent overboard ? What are we talking about 5 or 6 liters of oil vanquish
                  '''''If water was getting into the sump it would be over full and white. When the engine is running there would be seventy pounds of oil pressure in the system, ten pounds in the water gallery. There probably would be only three obvious places, oil pressure switch, oil cooler, and the bottom seal. You would think if it was the switch or lower seal there would a pool and a mess under and around the motor. It takes ten minutes to check the oil cooler, and twenty minutes to pull the leg off, so you should be able to find the problem quick.

Comment

Oil wasn't milky on the first change. And not now. Its just three quarts low. And I'm not seeing oil leaks around cooler. Nor inside the lower covers. A small amount is coming out a predilled hole under cavatation plate. Not even enough to puddle up under lower unit. Im thinking its the lowest seal around crankshalt. Im going to pull off l unit and look up in middle leg.

Comment

Oil cooler!!! Yep thats it.
                      There is a steady stream of oil coming out of top water hose connection.
                      Discharging my oil into the exhausted water.
                      How much will this cost me?

Comment

140 JohnZuki

So. Oil cooler was bad. 200$ for that. It was knocking when I returned. Oil level had dropped to 1.5 qts because it was pumping the oil out the cooling water. Now with new oil, and test drive. Its still tapping badly, even knocking. Oil level had gotten really low. What likely happened. Burn a rod bearing??? Could it be a tappet, valve or cam bearing???
                        Do I pull the valve cover and start there, and work my way all the way into the crank??

Comment

Working...
                        X