Df 140 stiff swivel bracket - adding zerk and heating question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Df 140 stiff swivel bracket - adding zerk and heating question

Hi - I have a 2003 DF140 on a Scout 185SF. Steering has become very tight - I've isolated the issue to the swivel bracket. I've read through the forums and have found two potential fixes (short of replacing the swivel bracket) and I have questions on both methods.

Method 1 - Heating the tube to "melt" the old grease - A couple people have said this has worked - Im curious about how best to heat the tube. Heat Gun, Propane torch? Any tips appreciated before I give this a try

Method 2 - Add a zerk fitting to reach the top part of the tube. The single existing zerk is port side about half way down the tube so new grease presumably isn't reaching the top of the tube. If I were to drill and tap to install a second zerk fitting - I'd love to know where exactly to install it. Does anyone have pictures? Measurement of how far above the existing zerk to install it? Any tips for the install

Thanks in advance
    Dave

Heat gun unless its really ugly already

Comment

I'm having the exact same issue with my 2005 DF140 and would like to add another zerk too. Anyone out there done this and if so how ?

Comment

Working...
      X