Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tachometer stopped working ???

hi all,
    I have a 2007 Suzi 250 and my Faria tachometer just stopped working. It was working a week or so ago. When I turn key on the needle just does not move and when underway it stays at zero.

Any recommendations on a fix ?, also where is the tach wire that connects to the motor ?

Thank you,

Any ideas on a fix for my tach not working ??

Comment

There should be a grey wire that goes to the tach, and somewhere in that grey wire run to your connector under the dash is a 10A fuse. That fuse may well go to other instruments as well (trim meter, if you have one), so if the tach is the only thing out, not sure that the fuse is the problem. But you might start there.
      Last edited by Harper; 07-14-2016, 07:54 PM.
      Mike
      μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Ok thank you, where would the tach wire go on the motor ?, is there a general location so I can check the connection there as well
        Thanks

Comment

I have no idea where on your motor. I doubt the problem would be there anyway. It'll be in the wire bundle back there somewhere. We can cross that bridge after you check the fuse, if it is necessary.
          Mike
          μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

This is from memory, but I believe my tach showed "life" even when the tach wire from the OB wasn't functioning (an issue with my DF60A and the factory tach - Suzuki changed something in the signal evidently). If the gauge is "dead" perhaps it's a power problem? Are you sure the 12V service wire is hot? Does the light come on?

Comment

Well took the boat out this weekend and even before looking at the wires started the motor and tach worked fine for about 5 minutes then died.

I then gained access to the back of the tach, cleaned all wire connections, sprayed down the 4 pin connector that attaches to the tach, reassembled and still tach did not work. Also I tightened all ground screws at the transom for all helm devices.

This is an older multi function "Faria" tach from 2007.

Any other thoughts are appreciated,
              Thank you,

Comment

Some tacks have selector switches on the back of the tack for different applications. The switch is usually a rotatory type with a slotted head that you turn with a screw driver or may be DIP switches. The contacts become corroded over time, just exercise the switch several times thru their full range will usually clean them.

Most tacks on outboard motors are reading the frequency of the alternator stator output and the switch selects the instrument to match the number of electrical poles of the alternator.

Jim

Comment

No selector switch on the back. Where would the tach wire be on the motor ??,
                  I would like to check the connection there ( DF250) also is there a way to add a voltmeter to the wires entering the tach to see if I have a signal ?

Thank you,

Comment

Access to adjust the switch setting maybe a small hole that you insert a small regular screwdriver.

Google the tack model and you will find out if there is an internal switch.

Jim

Comment

Many of those selector switches for the tach are under a rubber plug to prevent moisture getting in. Also remember where that switch is set, to pu it back in same position after rotating it a few times.

Good luck.

Comment

Ok I will open this up again and look for a small hole.
                        Anyone know where the tach wire goes to the motor ?,
                        Thank you,

Comment

Working...
                        X