X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DF70 4-stroke, oil and rev lamp flashes 5 times

Motor: Suzuki DF70, year 2000.

Recently, this is what happens when I turn on the ignition:

- Warning buzzer sounds, and all lights are turned on, and then off (as usual)
    - Rev needle is NOT moving (it used to do this, to indicate running hours)
    - Oil and rev light flashes five times (it did not used to do this)

The engine can be turned on, and is working as normal, atleast on low revs (I traveled home for 1,5 hour at low speed). No more sound or lights flashing/showing. I am hesitant to try higher revs to see if the rev limiter is kicking in, in case this is something serious.

The nearest Suzuki dealer says it is the oil change reminder, so I have tried to reset it (not sure though if there is any on this year model).

NOTE: It is not the engine lamp that is flashing. All references I can find about flashing lights is regarded to the engine lamp.

Anyone knows what this means? Should/can I test if the rev limiter is kicking in, which would indicate that it is indeed a serious problem.

Hi,

do you have a service manual for that specific engine? You can find it in manualslib(dot)com, but is for the '03 model. There it says that the oil change reminder system is present. Here is the copy-paste procedure from the manual:

CANCELLATION Procedure

1. Turn the ignition key to the “ON” position.

2. Pull out the emergency stop switch plate.

3. Pull up the emergency stop switch knob three times in 10 seconds. A short beep will be heard if the cancellation is successfully
    finished.

4. Turn the ignition key to the “OFF” position.

5. Set the switch plate in the original position.

6. Start the engine and check if the procedure succeeded.
    -------------------------------

The only other thing that contains Oil and Rev limiter lamps is 'Low oil pressure caution system' (Chapter 3-24 ENGINE CONTROL SYSTEM). Do you get any beeps? How many hours does the engine have? When did you change the oil (working hours from then on)? Did you use the 10W-40 one from Motul/Suzuki? Did you also change the oil filter?

Comment

I don't have the service manual (bought the boat used).

I have tried to reset the oil change reminder as per the instructions (got the same instructions from the Suzuki dealer). But... there is no short beep. I have tried the procedure several times, and that's why I assumed it is not present on this specific engine.

Answers to your questions:
      - No beeps
      - About 350 running hours in total
      - Working hours since changing oil: ~20 hours
      -- I used the correct oil, and also changed the oil filter
      -- The oil level is correct

Comment

Have you checked to see if your emergency stop switch actually works? Start the engine on the muffs, and pull the cord so the clip comes off. The engine should immediately stop.

If it doesnt, the switch is faulty, and will also therefore not work for resetting the oil change reminder. Solution = fix the switch.

Also, in the reset procedure, try removing the emergency stop clip first before turning the key to on.

Comment

I have the same issue with a DF70. It is a french version (I don't know if it is important) dated 2000
          On the advice of a Suzuki Outboard reseller I have executed the reset procedure described in the user manual after having checked the Deadman switch. Still have the problem.

My feeling is that issue is not documented in the User Manual as it is NEITHER the indication of the running hours (in this case only REV lamp is blinking with RPM needle moving), NOR the oil maintenance indicator (only the OIL lamp is blinking)
          Here we have, as described by CHRIS257, OIL lamp AND REV lamp blinking together 5 times.

On the WEB, many questions about this problem, but no answer ......

Can somebody help us?

Comment

Did you successfully complete the Oil reminder reset procedure?
            Are you saying that no beeping is coming out at normal starting procedure of an engine?
            Is light's blinking in any pattern (eg. 2 blinks-pause-3 blinks) or is it 5 blinks without stopping in between?
            Does the engine start up? If yes, is it limited to 3.000 rpm (Fail-safe system)?

Do you have an option to connect the engine to the Suzuki Diagnostic Software?

Do a video and post it on YouTube and that way it will be much easier to diagnose the problem.

Here is a Self-diagnostic part of Service manual for this engine.
            Last edited by UrbanBatic; 09-07-2021, 05:00 PM.

Comment

Hey UrbanBatic,

My answers:

Did you successfully complete the Oil reminder reset procedure? ANS: YES, and I have checked the good working condition of the DeadMan switch (engine stops when I pull the clip)

Are you saying that no beeping is coming out at normal starting procedure of an engine? ANS: Exactly as CHRIS257 description:
              - Warning buzzer sounds, and all lights are turned on, and then off (as usual)
              - Rev needle is NOT moving (it used to do this, to indicate running hours)
              - Oil and rev light flashes five times (it did not used to do this)

Is light's blinking in any pattern (eg. 2 blinks-pause-3 blinks) or is it 5 blinks without stopping in between? ANS: No code sequence (x blink/pause/y blinks) is performed, only OIL & REV lights blinking together 5 times (after the Warning buzzer, and without RPM needle moving)

Does the engine start up? If yes, is it limited to 3.000 rpm (Fail-safe system)? ANS: Everything works find, engine starts, no limitation at 3000rpm. my boat is a CapCamarat 545, and I can reach 25knots at 5200rpm

Do a video and post it on YouTube and that way it will be much easier to diagnose the problem. ANS: I will do that as soon as possible

Here is a Self-diagnostic part of Service manual for this engine. ANS: Already have it, the described issue is not documented in this section

Thanks for your time

Comment

Any continuing troubleshooting with this? I think I have the same issue.

Comment

Best info I could find.

http://www.marineengine.com/boat-for...n-switch-to-ON

Comment

I didn't see anything out of the ordinary here. A mouse did go to town on some of my other electrical wires.

Suzuki Tachometer Installation Instructions:
                    http://product.cwrelectronics.com/li...ns/54687IN.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by zelazknee View Post
                      I didn't see anything out of the ordinary here. A mouse did go to town on some of my other electrical wires.

Suzuki Tachometer Installation Instructions:
                      http://product.cwrelectronics.com/li...ns/54687IN.pdf
                      I would suggest you check every inch of every cable on your boat for mouse damage. Start at the obvious damage and go from there. By checking I mean exposing the entire loom. My father in law had mouse damage, the rodents had chewed wires in 2 places where the wiring loom wasn’t visible and 2 places where the wiring was visible. What started out as a simple fix turned into an all day job, fixing the wires wasn’t all that bad, exposing all the wires was a real pain.

Comment

Well I finally got back to it after the long winter. Traced set of wires that go from tachometer to tiller handle and plug that goes from tachometer to engine. I didn't see any damage but I'm still getting the alarm. Wonder what it could be.

Comment

Working...
                        X