dt9.9c seized?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dt9.9c seized?!?

How can I determine if the cylinders on my dt9.9c are seized an whether or not I should scrap my outboard?

Also, how can I determine the year of my outboard? Model#: dt9.9c.....serial number starts with: 00994...

Any help would be most appreciated...thank you.

If the piston(s) won't move, it probably is a lost cause. Because either the bearings, rings, or cylinder sleeves have dried out (no oil from sitting too long), and may have started rusting. If any, or all of those parts are at fault for not moving, it isn't cost effective to bring it back.

That first part of serial number (00994) was used from 1988 till 1997. You would have to have at least the next several numbers after the 00994 to know what year it is.

If you could find the rest of the ser# you could possibly sell many parts off it through ebay?

Good luck.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback......I actually got the pistons to move using a combination of penetrating oil, soak time and a whole lot of elbow grease to spin the prop. I need to replace the head gasket and then i'll have to try to get it started. The full serial number is: 00994804656. Is there any information available that breaks down a serial number to explain what each digit means? (I found something like this in this forum for model#, but I couldn't find my model (DT9.9C))

Comment

The 00994 indicates 9.9 hp
        The 0xxxx would be 1980

Comment

Excellent...thank you!!

Comment

Art i think you're a few years off, according to browns point. It says 1988 year model. In 1980 the first numbers were 00991 & 00992.

Good luck.

Comment

Working...
            X