engine will not fire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• engine will not fire

I have twin 2006 DF140 on a 26' twin Vee. My starboard engin was running fine until I tried to start it while leaving an offshore rig. The check beeps sounded but could not get fire to the starter. Batteries are hot. Trim works.Came in on one engine. Checked all fuses and installed new starter. Same thing. Starter will spin when jumped but can not engage starter from ignition. Help.

Check and make sure the contacts are closed on your neutral switch, on the starboard side where your shift cables are.

Comment

Originally posted by redlowrey View Post
      Check and make sure the contacts are closed on your neutral switch, on the starboard side where your shift cables are.
      Redlowrey,thanks for your quick reply. I would check that the contacts are closed if I knew how. Sorry that I do not but will follow instructions.

Comment

Fred - give the throttle a wriggle in and out of gear a few times. What Red is saying is that it could be that the neutral switch that prevents starting the engine in gear isnt closed.

If you can get someone to do that while you look under the cowl of the engine, starboard side where the shift cables connect to the engine, You will see the white netral switch there, if its loose, broken, etc it wont close, therefore no cranking of engine.

If you use the link to the parts lookup on this forum you should be able to find the nuetral throttle switch in a diagram there, and see where it fits.

Comment

Moonlighter, Thanks to you and Red. What a great site. I'll be going back down to Venice, Louisiana in a few days and will do as you say. Thanks so very much.

Comment

Moonlighter, you and Red were Spot On. It was indeed the neutral switch. What a sweet sound when she turned over. Thank you guys so very much. If you guys are ever in the States and want to fish the Gulf of Mexico I have a place for you all to stay. My treat. Thanks again.

Comment

Glad you got it sorted! Was it broken or just loose/misaligned?

If I can find my way to the States one day, I may well take you up on that offer!

Cheers From Downunder!

Comment

Moonlighter

It was not visually broken but after I put the new one on it was perfect.
                Thanks again and my invite will always be there.

Comment

What would it hurt just to bypass the switch?

Comment

You really want a situation where the engine can be started when it is in gear??

Not a good idea from any angle you consider it.

Comment

Originally posted by wilbur1 View Post
                      What would it hurt just to bypass the switch?
                      '''''' With the key on in neutral the ecu will detect zero volts on pin 5, when you shift into gear the ecu will see 2.5 volts on pin 5, if the engine is running and it still detects zero volts on pin 5 you will be limited to 3000rpm and eight degree's of timing, so don't wast your time jumping the switch, also most of the time it is just grease that has stopped the contacts from closing.

Comment

Thanks, I sure didnt know that.

Comment

Working...
                        X