4hp, no start, low compression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4hp, no start, low compression

I have a 1994 4hp 2 stroke. It ran perfect last year and I winterized it and put it away. Started up and ran fine this spring. A couple of days ago I went to fire it up and it sort of tried to catch then became and non-starter...not even trying.

Checked fire...lots of good spark
    Pulled Carb apart and did a cleaning, removed and blew it all out, jets included with compressed air. Put it back on and no change.
    Fuel is getting to the plug because it was wet.
    Compression check is 50psi first pull then doesn't go above 60 on subsequent attempts.

So, do you guys have any experience with this happening? Is it a head gasket, or something else that would do this.

Thanks.

You might consider checking the valve clearances And a leak down test
    The latter to try to find the reason for low compression
    Also when you try to start spaying a bit of starting fluid
    The other question deals with fuel
    Old fuel has constantly created starting problems
    If you have not changed to fresh fuel drain all the old fuel out of the system and try again
    Art

Comment

Sorry odyessey, art was raised on 4 strokes, might not remember the 2 strokes don't have valves. Lol

Comment

Does your motor act like it is trying to start at all? When pulling cord? Low compression can affect starting, but if enough for combustion to occur it may still start. It might not run well/strong, but might still start?

Have you checked low pressure fuel pump? And know you cleaned carb, did you remove all pilot screws, needle mixture screws, needle valve seat (how else can you tell if something is blocking fuel flow to float?), any other screws... for fuel or air mixture (can't properly clean them without removal?).

When reinstalling all the different pieces/ screws, did you set them by the manual?

Good luck, post back as able.
        Last edited by Solarman; 07-30-2016, 03:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Solarman View Post
          Sorry odyessey, art was raised on 4 strokes, might not remember the 2 strokes don't have valves. Lol
          Yeah what was I thinking?
          You kind of get in one mode and it tough to switch gears sometimes

Odyssey you didn't mention fuel
          That is still #1 to check
          It doesn't take much water to create a lot of problems especially if the fuel was sitting around for a while it just seems to suck the water in

Thanks Solarman for the correction!!!
          Art

Comment

50 or 60 should be enough for motor to run. 3 things you need to start a motor. Gas. Spark. Air. You have spark. You should have air. Is the plug getting wet with gas? If so, replace plug. Let me know if your plug is wet with gas. There is a 4th people's.problem. It is electric start or are you pulling a cord? I'm 60 and sometimes I can't start my lawn mower because I'm not pulling cord fast. No funny, but true Get back to me on this.
            Last edited by Marty D; 07-30-2016, 09:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X