1999 DT150 trim tilt issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1999 DT150 trim tilt issue

I'm having trouble with the trim tilt, it wont go up or down while pressing the button at the helm or on the engine, I've tested the motor, it will go up and down when 12v is supplied directly to the blue and green wires...I've replaced the trim up solenoid.

What brought me to this is I went to the lake and tried to trim up to remove my transom savor, and nothing. Down worked fine, just wouldnt go up. ive tried cleaning the connections, I've tried everything I know how to do.

Note: both solenoids click when trying to trim up or down. Thanks in advance.
    -Ryan

Okay after further testing with a multimeter, I found that if I click up at either switch I get 12.7-12.8 at both the up and down solenoid. But nothing at the down solenoid. Crossed wire? I tested all grounds and got good readings.

Comment

Did you test the switch itself? Especially the one on the engine.
      Art

Comment

I have not, how would I test the switch? By getting power to the relays doesnt that mean the switch works? Forgive my ignorance, I'm not too familiar with these computerized engines.
        -Ryan

Comment

If you checked all connections and still nothing try changing the down solenoid with the one you already replaced. It sounds like a connection problem, or the solenoid itself is bad. But if replacing one solenoid didn't help, then maybe the other solenoid was the bad solenoid, they both have to work properly.

Also, make sure all the ground connections are clean, even at the tilt motor.

Good luck, post back on what you find out.

Comment

Solarman- I will try that this afternoon. I was wondering the same thing as I came across another forum this morning that said it's usually the opposite solenoid that is the problem. There's a Suzuki dealer 20 minutes from me and I'm going to call to see if they have the down solenoid in stock. Will post back later tonight

Comment

Update: I noticed that the ground wires that go from the solenoids and mount on the starter had corroded inside the insulation around the wire. So I made up a makeshift ground with alligator clips and viola it work again . Headed to home depot now to get material to make a permanent setup.

Solorman and artdf175 thank you both for your help.

Comment

Glad you located the problem.

Good luck, happy boating.

Comment

Working...
                X