Flywheel removal 1999 DT150

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flywheel removal 1999 DT150

Like i said new day, new problem... today I went out to try and run the engine on muffs. And when I turned the key it turned over and I heard a "clunk" I took of the cowling and had someone crank it again. And it spit out a large piece of a magnet. I can only assume it chewed up the stater at the same time, but for now I need to get this damn flywheel off. So far I've bent a puller I had, spent 5 hours of soaking it in PB blaster and err, persuading witha 3lb hammer. Any ideas?

Did you get the nut flywheel nut loose?
    The secret to getting the flywheel off after loosening the nut, do not remove the nut, make it even with the top of the crankshaft, this protects the crankshaft.
    With the flywheel puller even on all three bolts, but not threaded too deeply (YES, you can thread those 3 puller bolts too deep, and damage the stator and other parts, DO NOT THREAD DEEPER THAN THE THREADS IN THE FLYWHEEL) tighten the center bolt as tight as you can get it. OK, with the puller taught, using a large size hammer hit the center bolt going to the crankshaft a good whack. If flywheel hasn't come free, tighten the center bolt down again very tight, then whack the top of that Center puller bolt again (the crankshaft is a tapered shaft and requires this shock to free it). Repeat this process until the flywheel pops loose. It doesn't require the center bolt to be so tight it bends, or the hammer strike to be ground shaking, but i have had to repeat the process 2-3 times for some of the toughest flywheels.
    Re-installing the flywheel requires extreme torque when re-attaching properly.

Good luck, post back on how it went.

Comment

Working...
    X