DF 140 engine oil light flickers at high RPM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DF 140 engine oil light flickers at high RPM

So I was running home the other night and the engine oil light began to flicker first just a little then a lot
    I stopped checked oil which was fine then started running again and when i got up to 4000RPM it began to flicker again
    no alarm sounded

is this a real problem
    and electrical fault or a bad sensor ?

thanks joe
    i made a video on my phone
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXe5s64LUOM

Same problem

I have the same exact problem. I took a Suzuki mechanic underway with me to show them what I was talking about. He changed the gauge, the sensor and the ECM (computer). Nothing made it go away! He said it may be due to corrosion on one of the electrical plugs but he did not confirm it. He had it hooked up to his laptop and no codes were thrown. If there is a fix, I would like to know.

Have you had it looked at since your post?
    Last edited by FLinAK; 08-29-2016, 12:27 AM.

Comment

Did he check the actual oil pressure of the engine, if not the whole exercise was a wast of time.

Comment

Originally posted by FLinAK View Post
        I have the same exact problem. I took a Suzuki mechanic underway with me to show them what I was talking about. He changed the gauge, the sensor and the MCU (computer). Nothing made it go away! He said it may be due to corrosion on one of the electrical plugs but he did not confirm it. He had it hooked up to his laptop and no codes were thrown. If there is a fix, I would like to know.

Have you had it looked at since your post?
        so I changed the sensor which was a little corroded reset the system and did another 2 day trip
        the light still flickers !
        now its pretty intermittent and can go on at low or high RPM ?
        oil level is fine

How do you check the oil pressure
        can you purchase a cheap oil pressure meter
        is the electrical/mechanical of the sensor universal ?
        the shop that i trust is backed up another month

thanks
        joe

Comment

I have a DF25A motor with a condition that might be related. My motor has 3 LEDs on the front for temp, oil, and I believe over-rev. I added an LMF-400 display to the engine. When originally installed this display, I tapped the NMEA power cable off a pair of bullet connectors on the cable harness. I believe these bullet connectors provide an interface to a "classic" tachometer. I used them simply as a switched 12V power source for my LF-400 display. Initially everything worked fine.

After about 3 months, my LMF-400 display quit working. After some investigation, I found that the power tap, which had originally provided 12V, was now providing only about 8V. I ended up connecting my NMEA2000 network directly to battery power, giving up the benefit of ignition switching. This got my LMF-400 display working again.

Soon afterwards, I noticed that the 3 LEDs on the front of my motor glow dimly whenever the motor is running. They aren't bright enough to notice in daylight, but at dusk or dark, I notice they are glowing dimly.

I haven't looked into WHY my engine cable harness is delivering 8V instead of 12V. The motor has been running fine, and my NMEA2000 network seems to be working fine I assume that if the engine were throwing any errors, they would be displayed on the LMF-400 display; so I haven't been very concerned about the glowing LEDs.

I don't know if this experience has any relevance to what you are seeing. But I might suggest that you check the voltage at some of the tap points on your engine harness (assuming you have unused taps there), and see if you're getting 12V or higher.

Comment

Oil pressure

Originally posted by redlowrey View Post
            Did he check the actual oil pressure of the engine, if not the whole exercise was a wast of time.
            Yes, oil pressure was checked in the water while throttling up and down and out of the water on muffs idling. Pressure was fine in both situations.

Comment

Nmea

Originally posted by 2014DF25ARS View Post
              I have a DF25A motor with a condition that might be related. My motor has 3 LEDs on the front for temp, oil, and I believe over-rev. I added an LMF-400 display to the engine. When originally installed this display, I tapped the NMEA power cable off a pair of bullet connectors on the cable harness. I believe these bullet connectors provide an interface to a "classic" tachometer. I used them simply as a switched 12V power source for my LF-400 display. Initially everything worked fine.

After about 3 months, my LMF-400 display quit working. After some investigation, I found that the power tap, which had originally provided 12V, was now providing only about 8V. I ended up connecting my NMEA2000 network directly to battery power, giving up the benefit of ignition switching. This got my LMF-400 display working again.

Soon afterwards, I noticed that the 3 LEDs on the front of my motor glow dimly whenever the motor is running. They aren't bright enough to notice in daylight, but at dusk or dark, I notice they are glowing dimly.

I haven't looked into WHY my engine cable harness is delivering 8V instead of 12V. The motor has been running fine, and my NMEA2000 network seems to be working fine I assume that if the engine were throwing any errors, they would be displayed on the LMF-400 display; so I haven't been very concerned about the glowing LEDs.

I don't know if this experience has any relevance to what you are seeing. But I might suggest that you check the voltage at some of the tap points on your engine harness (assuming you have unused taps there), and see if you're getting 12V or higher.
              Of my three lights on my gage, only my oil light flickers/stays on. It's not dim at all, it is definitely on and I can see it is bright daylight.

Comment

Working...
              X