DF-250 won't go into neutral or reverse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DF-250 won't go into neutral or reverse

My 2007 DF-250 had a new water pump installed about a month ago. Used the boat at least 10 times since with no issues. Today while anchoring I tried to put it in reverse, and it stayed in forward. It won't go into neutral or reverse, and it also starts in gear. I also tried the button on the shifter to put it in neutral but it won't engage either. Is there any thoughts for me to try?
    Boat is in the water, but I can pull it if I have to.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Joe Isnardi
    Big Pine Key, Florida

Sounds like the shift cable came loose, at one end or the other. Or broke. Notice any binding or anything else unusual just before this happened? Could also be linkage came loose at the motor.
    Last edited by Harper; 08-18-2016, 07:45 PM.
    Mike
    μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

You said "button on shifter" to put in neutral. Is this fly-by-wire?

Also sounds like, something has come apart since your impeller replacement, wires or linkage?

Good luck.

Comment

Also the shift rod in place since they had it apart to replace water pump.

Comment

shifting issue

OK, so I pulled the boat out of the water and looked at the top of the shifting rod that goes from the lower unit to the linkage under the powerhead. The connecting rod that goes from the spline to something under the lower cowling is just flopping around. I have to take off the lower cowling to investigate further. Had an unforeseen emergency, so I can't go forward until next week. But I do feel I am on the right track.

Thank You all for helping me out

PS: It is a 2007, and not fly by wire, and it did work good for about 10 trips till this happened,

Comment

I just looked at the service manual, and found some correct terminology.
            The lever that I found dangling is the clutch lever link. I cant see what is disconnected, but will be able to when I remove the engine side cover.

Also to explain further, when I said bottom of the shifter, I was talking about the shift lever on the console that puts it in gear and gives throttle. There is a black plastic cover, that if you push before your start the engine, you can give the boat throttle, without putting it in gear. I am sorry I don't know all the correct terms, but I try to explain as best I can.

Again, that you all for taking the time to try to help me out.

Comment

You're doing fine. I understood what you meant by the button, the large black rubber cover at the pivot point of the throttle lever, that disengages the shift linkage from the lever. That's why I suspected linkage or cable. You seem to be on the right track. If you find that you can't figure out how to reconnect the link, try to post a picture and we can go from there.
              Mike
              μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

the Fix

Ok, finally able to get some time to break the Zuke apart. Found the culprit, the pin broke off the Clutch Shaft Arm. The always friendly(not really) guys at Sea Center in Big Pine and a 30 dollar bill, has me back in business. It really wasn't that hard of a fix. I replaced the bushings, the arm, the washer and a new SS cotter pin. I took pictures but I can't figure out how to post them.

Thank You All for the encouragement to try this fix.

Joe Isnardi

Comment

Working...
                X