Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help setting up new DF25A

Hello,
    I purchased a new DF25A online to go on my 1981 13' Whaler. The motor came with everything to install myself other than throttle cables. I have never installed a motor before and am having trouble with the wiring. Can someone tell me what the wires in my picture are for? I already connected the main battery/ptt cable from remote to the engine and am left with all of these. Are these just for a tachometer and other accessories? I have none as it is a pretty plain boat. Do I just leave these unplugged? When I connect the motor to a battery as I have it wired now nothing happens either when I turn the key or when I try the ptt on the engine or at the remote. Appreciate any help. I have read online about a setup manual for this motor but cant seem to find anything?

IMG_1992.JPG

You don't need to connect those cables to anything if you don't have any gauges. It should be sufficient to connect the big round cable/connector to the remote. If you plan to use electric start and PTT, then you must connect the battery cables as well. But on a couple occasions I have loaned my battery to other boaters who were having engine trouble, and I've had no problem pull-starting my motor without a battery. When you say "nothing happens when I turn the key or try PTT on the engine":

Do you have a battery connected to the motor? I suppose the PTT won't work without one. (My motor does not have PTT.)
    Does "nothing happens" mean the starter does not turn when you turn the key, or only that the motor doesn't start?
    Do you have the kill switch key installed at the remote?

I also rigged my DF25ARS motor to my boat with no prior experience, but it has worked out fairly well. Just to show how ignorant I was, the main mistake I made initially was not realizing that throttle/shift cables were needed (because none were delivered with the motor). I had read some Suzuki marketing literature about "fly by wire" and assumed was implemented on my new motor. I put the boat in the water and started the motor without any problem, but when I moved the control lever to put it in gear, nothing happened! The following week I measured and ordered some control cables, and all has been fine since.

Comment

stupid question, i'm setting up the same motor. are the control and clutch cables the same? in other words, the 2 cables you had to order, are they the same cable, just 2 of them?

Comment

Yes, the two cables are the same. Usually referred to as throttle and shift cables. The toughest part of choosing the cables IMHO is determining the correct length for your boat. I had a roll of 1/4-inch drip irrigation tubing laying around my house, which has similar size & bending properties as the motor cables. I used the irrigation tubing to determine the routing and the length I needed for my boat.

Comment

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/11...uki-Df70a.html

This link is not for your engine but it might point you I the right direction

Comment

Awesome! thank you!!

Comment

Working...
            X