No announcement yet.

NMEA lowrance elite 2019 140

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Everything went as planned with your instruction above.

I topped off the fuel and set to full as described, but did not run enough to require refilling.

I was not getting a fuel economy reading and the fuel used reading was extremely high. 2800 gallons and counting.

I would expect this to reconcile when I top the fuel back off and calibrate actual usage.

Comment

Moonlighter

i has previously mentioned some very very large fuel usage data. I have since topped of the fuel and recorded the proper amount 17.39 gallons. The unit seemed to accept the input And shows my 49 gallon tank as full.

on the water today I noticed that it was saying my trip used 29 gallons, which I had only gone a mile or two. The sonar tank reading is showing half full and the fuel economy was just bouncing between 0-6.

will this get more accurate on subsequent fillings, or do you think I have a different issue?

Comment

Very strange..... that normally only happens when an older engine is connected to a new model interface cable running current software. We do see flow rates and fuel used 5 to 10 times what they should be.

So first, please confirm:

- you have a 2019 model engine?
        - you are running a new interface cable with version 3.5.04 software?
        - the fuel data results you are reporting are being shown on the Elite Ti?

if that is all the case, then:

Open the network menu, select device list, then select the Suzuki device. Open.

You should see an option there to reset fuel to factory. Try that.

You can then test if the data is correct very quickly and simply by starting the engine on the muffs or in a drum of water, allowing it to warm up for a minute until the revs settle, then checking the fuel flow rate at idle. Because the fuel used and fuel flow is all sourced from the engine, they are directly related and if flow rate is wrong, so will fuel used be wrong. So if fuel flow looks correct, then fuel used will also be correct, or very close.

Report back with what the fuel flow rate is after doing the reset.

Edit you could check the flow rate before and after doing the reset and see if there is a big difference.

On a DF140A the fuel flow rate at idle should be:
        - in metric measures, about 0.8 litres per hour
        - in US measures, about 0.2 GPH.

Last edited by Moonlighter; 01-27-2020, 03:18 AM.

Comment

Also, when you fill the tank, you just check the “set to full” box and DO NOT INPUT AN AMOUNT OF FUEL ADDED!

If you do both the set to full AND ALSO input an amount added, you will mess up the fuel data. If you have been doing that it might explain the crazy fuel data. The reset to factory option i mentioned should fix it.

You only input an amount added when either:

(a) you are calibrating - you select set to full box, select calibrate, then input an amount added as prompted

or

(b) when you are only adding some fuel but not filling to full.
          Last edited by Moonlighter; 01-27-2020, 03:14 AM.

Comment

Ok. I have not been doing both. I did set to full and added the actual amount when prompted by the calibration.

I assume you only need to calibrate a few times initially and it shouldn’t be required moving forward.

Comment

ML

update:

Suzuki df140 A is a 2019
              software is showing as 3.5.4 on the elite ti2, although the file said 3.5.04 from the best I recall. It was sent by lowrance when I performed the software update from 3.5.0

I reset the fuel to factory and it had a consumption reading of .28. Now here is the kicker.

I turned the motor off and back on. The consumption went back to 160. I reset the fuel again and back to .28.

I did this three times and the adjustment would not hold. The fuel K value was showing -60. Not that it matters, but I noted it.

Comment

That is very very strange. Never heard of that before.

It sounds like the software is faulty??

When you say .28, what unit of measure? GPH?? If gph it sounds close to right.

I can only guess as to what has happened and suggest a couple of things to try, not really knowing if they may help or not.

1. double check that you have the network wired up correctly. Importantly, it must have a terminating resistor at each end of the cluster of T’s, eg TR then T T T T then TR on the end.

2. devices must only be attached to the leg part if the T, never to the top cross part. Only things that connect to the top cross part of a T is a TR or another T, even if the T is connected to next T with a cable and not directly.

These first 2 things are critical so make 100% sure you have the network laid out correctly before doing anything else. All sorts of faults and errors occur when network layout is not done to comply with standards.

3. Sometimes we have seen in the past, cases where the changes do not “take” properly if the network voltage is low, so hook the battery up to a charger, and give it a good charge, and leave the charger charging when you next try the reset.

4. If all that fails, I would reload the interface software again. But I would download a fresh copy from this link: You will see it there.

http://ww2.lowrance.com/Suzuki
                Last edited by Moonlighter; 01-28-2020, 02:03 AM.

Comment

I had to reach out to lowrance for the update again. The link above opens, but it does not give me an option to download. If I click the 3.5.04 it open the text file.

Comment

Try using CHROME as the browser to download the file.

I have saved a copy of the file to my dropbox folder, if you click this link you should be able to download and save itfrom here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8xntlvtkou...20V3-5-04?dl=0

Make sure you do the other things I listed FIRST before trying the sw reload.

If all this fails, I can only suggest replacing the interface cable with e new one.
                    Last edited by Moonlighter; 01-28-2020, 05:41 PM.

Comment

ML

reviewed my current set up and it appears correct to me. Voltage is solid on the battery and gauge.

two tees tied together in the motor compartment, one leg feeds the interface and the other leg feeds the power. One open end has a TR and the remaining open end feeds a 3.5m extension to the console, where it ties in to the end of the final T. A drop goes from the lowrance to the leg on this T and the final end has a TR. system seems solid, unless the extension should be coming off a leg I read of an end.

sorry if this is horribly confusing. It’s a linear setup with three devices fed from the legs.

with that said a reinstallation of the software has corrected my issue with gal/ hr fuels consumption. It has settled in at .28 and read roughly 5 or so when running at speed.

I gave up and ran out of time trying to figure out why I lost the fuel gauge reading on the lowrance. It’s at 0 of 50 gallons, even when set to full. I will have to work thru your process again and see if it corrects that issue, but at least the trip usage is relatively accurate and should get better as I fine tune actual fuel used.

Comment

Your network wiring sounds good. Yes the extension from one group of T’s to the other group goes from top of T to top of T.

You would have T’s for:

1. engine interface
                        2. power
                        3. Lowrance display

Ok thats good that fuel flow is now settled. Data sounds pretty good to me.

I would just go into the fuel menu and reset to full, and start fresh from there. You may have to fo back int9 the fuel menu and reset the boat setup to 1 engine/1 tank and set the tank capacity again.

Andas always, after changing device configurations, do a auto-select for data sources: menu/system/network/data sources and select the option to auto select or auto configure data sources, and do it.

I always recommend with new installs that you do a fuel calibration check, and it must be done exactly as follows:

This is the process to verify the accuracy or your Suzuki fuel data. It is only used for fine tuning when actual vs predicted is within about 10%. Variations greater than about 10% indicate another issue and its very unlikely that this calibration process will fix such issues.
                        1. Fill the tank to full at regular gas station and remember which pump you use. Reset fuel to full. Do not calibrate yet!
                        2. Go fishing and burn at least 1/3 tank, the more the better.
                        3. On the way home from the fishing trip, Go back to the same gas station and same pump if possible and fill up, try to fill to the same fullness as last time. Do not delay and leave it for weeks because evaporation from a partially filled tank can be considerable - experts say up to 5% per week in some conditions! Then compare the actual fuel used to what the Suzuki system says. If its more that 2% different, you should calibrate. To do this:
                        4. Turn the engine key to on where it beeps. Go into the fuel menu and select refuel. Then select set to full, and then hit enter and then select the option to calibrate. Select the engine to calibrate. Then when prompted, input the actual amount it took at the pump to fill up, and complete the process. It will pop up a notification that the K factor is changing to a new value. This K value is the calibration factor. Accept and finish.
                        5. You will probably have to complete this process 3 or 4 times to get within 1-2% accuracy. Once you get that close, leave it alone because variations then are more likely to be due to filling the boat at different gas stations where the angle of boat/trailer affect how much fuel goes into the tank, or inaccuracies in the pumps.
                        Last edited by Moonlighter; 01-29-2020, 03:42 AM.

Comment

Moonlighter

this was indeed a software issue. I reinstalled a new copy and all issues are resolved.

thank you for your expertise and patience.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlighter View Post
                            Ok back to basics.

1. You cannot select engine year or hp on software versions from 2.5 onwards, so forget even trying to set them. They are auto detected by the interface and cannot be changed. Even if you change them they will immediately revert again. So simply ignore them. Whatever they show up as will be fine.

2. in settings, scroll down and open the fuel menu. Select vessel setup and set The boat as 1 engine/1tank and set the tank capacity.

3. Then fo back to the Suzuki device Configuration page. The only thing to set is engine location, so set that as centre. Done.

4. You only get the Suzuki icon if you also have a C-10 display on your network or the new Suzuki Connect intrface cable. . So forget that too.

5. run an auto-configure of data sources. Menu/settings/network then select the option to auto configure data sources. It will remind you to turn on alll network devices (this includes the engine key turned on) and that all data sources will be reset. Yes you want to do this so proceed. Now change to the dashboard page and check the data thats available.

6. there should be a trim calibration option on the Suzuki device page. i forget where it is exactly but its there somewhere. Find it and follow the calibration instructions.

Having this Suzuki icon problem with 990CO-88136 interface running 3.5.4 software. Everything else seems to work. Which part number enables the icon?

Comment

Originally posted by yakebait View Post

Having this Suzuki icon problem with 990CO-88136 interface running 3.5.4 software. Everything else seems to work. Which part number enables the icon?
                              What exactly have you got connected to your NMEA2000 network? Please list everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlighter View Post

What exactly have you got connected to your NMEA2000 network? Please list everything.
                                12V power
                                Suzuki engine interface (part # 990CO-88136 3.5.4 software)
                                Lowrance HDS9 Carbon
                                Lowrance HDS9 Live

I emailed Lowrance on this issue and their response is that the icon will not appear unless I include the C-10 display on my network (which I do not have and do not intend to purchase)

Thank you!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X