2019 DF 175 complete oil failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2019 DF 175 complete oil failure

I have a brand new ( 25 hrs) df 175 that was being operated at 4500 rpms when I received an alarm and the engine immediately shut down. When I looked back at the motor there was oil leaking everywhere from the cowling. The oil was clear, not milky, indicating no water intrusion. There was no smoke or other sounds indicating a blown head. Any idea of what may have happened? I took off the cowling but could not view any cause or area of leaking. I thought it may have been around the area of the filter as the oil was only noticeable under the block and no where else ? Thanks for any suggestions on what may be wrong

The oil filter is the first thing to check.

Oil filter may have cracked, or may not have been put on properly/ not tight enough, or its oil seal failed.

Comment

A friend of mine had a new 2018 DF200 or the first year of the electronic shift models.
      It developed a oil leak at the lower case half at less than 100 hrs. Another place to look. Good luck

Comment

Either way - have it back to the dealer for assessment.

Its under warranty.

Unless of course it was the oil filter not on properly in which case whoever installed it is probably at fault. Or some goose left the oil filler cap off LOl! If it was dealer serviced, then straight back to them.

There have been quite a few cases where oil filters were overtightened (ie a oil filter tool was used to tighten them too much) and this caused a crease in the oil filter case, leading to a tiny pin hole. Its amazing how much oil can pump out of a almost invisible hole under high pressure.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlighter View Post
          Either way - have it back to the dealer for assessment.

Its under warranty. Or some goose left the oil filler cap off LOl!
          You only do that once, but think of it as rust proofing

Comment

Working...
          X