Buy Suzuki Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Installed a baystar Hydraulic to the Suzuki but i attached hoses other way round

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installed a baystar Hydraulic to the Suzuki but i attached hoses other way round

Just installed a Hydraulic steering kit. I attached hose where there is the sleeve ( protection) with the helm and the other end of hose to the bar. Does it make a difference or the hoses can fit both ways ie can attach either end to helm or steering bar. After revising instructions i understood i messed it up by attaching hoses the other way round and not as per instructions . Im a bit worried .Thanks and looking forward for your reply for piece of mind.

The protective sleeve goes on the motor side of the hose, since that's the side that moves back and forth as your motor turns. There's no movement of the hose on the helm end. While I think it's best that you remove it and redo the installation, I suppose there's no harm, initially anyway. But if you do leave it, you should check periodically for any chafing on the unprotected hose near the motor. The sleeve might also protect from the elements, especially UV rays on the hose, leading to hardening and cracking. Longevity would be the reason I'd recommend reversing the hose to the correct arrangement.
    Last edited by Harper; 12-23-2019, 08:09 PM.
    Mike
    μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

The sleeve is a strain relief. If you don't have enough, or too much hose at the motor you may have a problem with kinking at the fitting at full Rt or L turn. As long as the hose has a relative straight shot to the steering ram through its entire travel you will be good to go. The earlier versions had no strain relief (mine is 2003) Then again if you haven't bleed it yet & it bugs you change it.

Comment

Originally posted by tsturm View Post
        The sleeve is a strain relief. If you don't have enough, or too much hose at the motor you may have a problem with kinking at the fitting at full Rt or L turn. As long as the hose has a relative straight shot to the steering ram through its entire travel you will be good to go. The earlier versions had no strain relief (mine is 2003) Then again if you haven't bleed it yet & it bugs you change it.
        Yes i bleed it already. Is it a straightforward job to remove oil . Will re route the hoses and fill and bleed again. will use same oil as it is new. what you think? Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Karnic View Post

Yes i bleed it already. Is it a straightforward job to remove oil . Will re route the hoses and fill and bleed again. will use same oil as it is new. what you think? Thanks
          I would open a bleed valve at the motor end, put a piece of clean clear vinyl tube into a clean container & turn the wheel till no more oil squirts out Be sure to use a dam clean container if your reusing the oil. Have a good one.

Comment

Working...
          X