4 stroke using oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 stroke using oil

Can anyone help. I have a Suzuki 200hp 4stroke. It has around 450hrs. It seems about every 100 hrs when it’s time for oil change it has used 1 gallon of oil?? Everyone tells me this is not normal. Suzuki is telling me it’s because I idle to much? I scan a lot when fishing? Everyone says that makes 0 sense. Has anyone ever heard of a 4 stroke biting oil!

Using not biting

Comment

Try Yamaha " Ring Free" or "Sea Foam" from Advance Auto. Both very good products for removing carbon from pistons and piston rings. You probably have carbon build-up from low RPM operation.

Comment

so your saying this is normal?

Comment

A low hour engine using oil is not normal, but if a engine is operated for long periods of time at low RPM, carbon can build up around the piston rings causing them to stick thereby allowing oil to be used excessively. Always nice to open up and engine for short periods after trolling for long periods. If carbon build up is a problem hopefully ring free or seafoam will remove it. Heavy carbon build up can cause damage to rings and valves. Use the ring free or seafoam on a regular basis to keep carbon build up down.

Comment

Using is 4 qts. of oil between 100 hr. changes is not normal! Carbon buildup rendering the oil control ring set useless is normal. Low speed (trolling for 8 hrs. daily) will carbon every thing up. Twice a year I put on the muffs bring the engine up to operating temp, remove the crankcase vent hose from the air box/plenum and put u cans of seafoam through the entire upper end. you have to set the warm up lever to 2000 rpm and add the cleaner slowly so it don't stall. Then change the oil & you are good go for 3-4 hundred hrs. I troll 300 hrs a year with a DF-175 its quitter than my 9.9 Yamaha kicker. Yamaha ring free used as per the directions on the jug is great also. Fear not if you idled your pickup all day the same thing would happen to it. This comes from someone who has babysat a fleet of gas & diesel vehicles that sit and idle for 6-8 months 24/7 at a time. (north slope Alaska) Good luck Fishing!!! As soon as the harbor thaws I be back out!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jody beavin View Post
              so your saying this is normal?
              no not normal
              this is a sign of serious internal problems
              trust me I have been there!
              I will find a link for you to read
              Art

Comment

see if this provided help

https://www.suzukioutboardforum.com/...-df175-results

Art

Comment

I feel like I broke the engine in properly. I still have 5 yr warranty on the engine. I am going to write down what I seen in your text and show that to my mechanic to make sure he checks those things properly

Comment

Working...
                  X