DT 75 Shift Shaft Stuck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DT 75 Shift Shaft Stuck

Brought home an 89 DT75 last week. Got it running pretty easily but it was not pumping water.

Went to try and pull the lower unit off today. I have loosened the 12mm nut on the shift shaft, and pushed, pried, wiggled, you name it to try and get it disengaged from the shift rod. It will not budge. The lower unit will only drop down about an inch before the shift shaft catches. I don't know if there is a groove worn in the shaft or what, but it will not come off.

Anyone have any possible solutions to this problem?

The shaft normally has a groove and the bolt may have to be removed completely, but try not to change the adjustment of the shaft at the top nut, screwing the connector up/down changes the shifting position. If the top adjustment nut is loose, snug it down before removing the lower rod. If you have already changed the connector adjustment (up or down), you may have to readjust the the connector to shift into, and out of gear properly/fully, otherwise the shift dog may jump / slip in and out of gear while running. This is not good for the gears or shifting dog in your transmission.

Good luck, post back on what you find out.

Comment

I figured it out. Removing the lower carb gives just enough access to where the shift shaft potrudes into the lower cowl.

Looks like the dowel on the factory shift rod had broke, and somebody has drilled it and installed a machine screw in place. Once I undid that screw, the gearcase dropped right out.

Comment

Working...
      X