No announcement yet.

2015 DF15 overheating issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

P.S. I cant get pics to show properly, they come out so tiny... Ugh... I need to figure it out so I can post pics...

Last edited by MasterSchwag; 03-21-2020, 07:09 AM.

Comment

The black hose going from bottom to the top is the hose that had a good size slit in it.

Comment

I have no idea what the previous owner has done but that doesn’t look right by a long shot!

Here is a link from the parts page for a 2014 DF15, Suzuki doesn’t show a 2015 DF15 so I looked and linked a 2014 DF15.

https://www.boats.net/catalog/suzuki...-shaft-housing

My question to you is where is part #1,2 and #8,9? That black hose that you have in your picture doesn’t show up on the parts page. I can’t see Suzuki doing something like that, my guess is the previous owner was having overheating issues and farmed up some type of a work around. I don’t own a small horse powered engine so I can’t say for sure that your setup is wrong but it sure looks wacky to me. There is enough small engine owner members on this forum, my suggestion to you is wait for a second opinion from someone more knowledgeable/familiar with your engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Murray View Post
          I have no idea what the previous owner has done but that doesn’t look right by a long shot!

Here is a link from the parts page for a 2014 DF15, Suzuki doesn’t show a 2015 DF15 so I looked and linked a 2014 DF15.

https://www.boats.net/catalog/suzuki...-shaft-housing

My question to you is where is part #1,2 and #8,9? That black hose that you have in your picture doesn’t show up on the parts page. I can’t see Suzuki doing something like that, my guess is the previous owner was having overheating issues and farmed up some type of a work around. I don’t own a small horse powered engine so I can’t say for sure that your setup is wrong but it sure looks wacky to me. There is enough small engine owner members on this forum, my suggestion to you is wait for a second opinion from someone more knowledgeable/familiar with your engine.
          The pic I posted is from the starboard side of the engine and it is same as in the picture you posted of the shaft housing. I see 8 and 9 in my picture and the other side if the motor is 1 and 2. Seems like when I remove the hose it squirts water everywhere from where the hose was plugged in. I think the hose feeds water into the motor? I did run it hard today and it still overheated... I will keep trying to find the poppet valve but cant find it in the catalog...

Comment

https://www.servicemanualbit.com/dow...ual-2012-2016/

A suggestion

Comment

Originally posted by Murray View Post
              Thank u for the link! I paid the $10.00 and read through the entire manual but nothing about the water regulation valve/regulator! I suspect it doesnt have a poppet valve!
              Im going to take off the thermostat again and run water through the motor from that opening as well as double check all the water tubes for obstructions...
              Last edited by MasterSchwag; 03-22-2020, 09:06 AM.

Comment

Does the service manual show your mid unit same as the picture you posted, post #32? One would think if Suzuki used a hose it would attach to a nipple with a clamp, to me it looks like the hose is just stuffed in. Those two open holes just below and to the left of the oil drain plug doesn’t look right, again one would think there would be something in them ie parts #1,2 ,8 and 9 (from post #33). Now that you have the service manual that should help.

Comment

The hose in question is #4 in this image,

​​​​​​​
                  Last edited by MasterSchwag; 03-22-2020, 10:46 AM.

Comment

That $10 for the manual just paid for itself. You will be able to through the entire cooling system with the confidence that you will be able to reassemble it to factory specifications. Good luck

Comment

So I removed the thermostat and housing today and ran the motor in a 20 gallon garbage can full of water briefly and the water made it up into the housing with good flow! I also connected a hose to the flush port and ran water with the engine off and water made it to the thermostat as well! I also threw the brand new thermostat into boiling water to see if it opened up, and it did so in theory water SHOULD be getting through the entire cooling system... Im baffled at this point! Here is a picture of what it looked like before cleaning... P.S. Im currently still running salt away through the motor without the thermostat installed so I can get it through the entire cooling system.

If you look carefully you can see water gushing out of the hole in this .gif I made lol!
                      Last edited by MasterSchwag; 03-23-2020, 05:25 PM.

Comment

So if it isnt a cooling issue it seems it might be an oil pressure problem?

Comment

If it was an oil pressure issue wouldn’t the warning light come on much sooner? Previous post you indicated that the overheating issue was getting better as your work progressed? Check your service manual low oil pressure should put the engine in limp mode and limit your RPM’s. That being said since the engine is new to you can’t hurt to check oil pressure for piece of mind. With all that sludge in the thermostat housing and the history of the previous owner running it in mud the evidence points to overheating.

Comment

They both throw a similar alarm, and since I have no idea what RPM Im running at. They both seem the same to me?

Comment

Yes they do, my point is if your alarm was triggered by low oil pressure it would come on sooner. Have you removed the hoses and looked into the block for more of that sludge? Like I said previously, if you think it might low oil pressure check it. Your gif shows good volume from the lower unit to the thermostat so your issue is downstream from the thermostat.

Comment

Here is a video I made that starts about 30 seconds after turning the motor on. This is after changing the thermostat, temp sensor, impeller and all related seals as well as removing thermostat and running salt away through the motor for a week. It seems to have improved since day 1 but that just may be because I let it idle longer some days and shorter other days before going wide open throttle.
                                Im positive at this point there is no obstructions in the cooling passage ways and I have sufficient water flow through the entire block. Im also positive the thermostat opens at the correct temperature because I did the stove test with the brand new one before installing it. If Ive covered the entire cooling system now maybe time to look elsewhere?

If this was an oil pressure alarm how would I be able to tell the difference if I dont have an oil pressure gauge hooked up?

Comment

Working...
                                X