Got a DT75 that I can't keep running

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got a DT75 that I can't keep running

First off, hello, I'm new here. 2nd, this is going to be a long post, and I apologize for that in advance.

To begin, I have a 1988 Suzuki DT75 sitting on a Cobia 177. I bought the boat and engine in non-running condition from a coworker, who I know for a fact had it in running condition at one point. Unfortunately, they let it sit for a year, and then sold it to me cheap since it wouldn't start.

I played with it a little, and got it to where it would fire, but not run for more than a few seconds. I then had the carbs rebuilt my a mechanic, and when I got the boat back, it would start up and run, but only if I held the choke closed (by pushing the key in - that gets very tiring).

Once I let go and the choke opened, the engine would surge and then die after a few seconds. I actually ran the engine once for about 15 minutes with the choke closed to make sure it was good and warm, and it still surged and died when the choke was opened.

Thinking fuel delivery, I replaced the fuel filter and the fuel pump diaphragms, as well as the primer bulb and the fuel line that goes with it. I was using a vented portable gas tank with fresh gas, and the vent was open. My brother's Yamaha ran perfectly on that same gas in that same tank that very morning.

So, I had the mechanic rebuild the carbs again, and my mistake was not verifying that the engine ran when I picked it up from the mechanic. It was raining when I got there and I just wanted to get home.

Thanksgiving morning, I wanted to give it a shot on the water, so I decided to try and warm it up on the muffs first. Of course, it fired up as normal, but also as before it would only run with the choke closed. Only this time, I noticed that after it died, some gas would leak out of the top carburetor.

Obviously, it isn't supposed to do that.

I then took matters into my own hands on the suggestion of some other boating forums, and took the carbs off myself one by one. They weren't as clean inside as I had hoped, so I cleaned them up myself as best I could. I got a steady spray of carb cleaner through the main jets into the throat of the carb, so those passages were clear. I re-adjusted the float height (on one carb it was off, the other two were within spec per the Clymers manual) and re-installed the carbs on the engine.

Unfortunately, this didn't solve my problem, it would still only run with the choke closed. This time, when I let go of the choke and it started to die, I was able to push the choke back closed and keep it from dying several times. After my own personal carb cleaning, the engine seems to run rougher than it did before, probably due to me not being able to balance the carbs myself. (Prior to my taking the carbs off, when it did run, it ran strong)

I have gotten a lot of good suggestions from the other boating forums, and the general consensus is fuel starvation - which makes sense. I did verify that I had strong spark using a spark tester (and my left arm, which happened to be a little too close to the tester..)

This weekend I am going to check for fuel flow through the fuel pump by disconnecting the fuel line and seeing if fuel flows into an empty bottle while cranking. If it does show fuel being pumped, I can assume that the problem is still in the carbs. I am planning to borrow an ultrasonic cleaner from work and plunking the disassembled carbs in that to clean then out a 4th time, and then use compressed air to blow out the passages. I am also going to replace the pilot jets, as they looked like someone had broken them trying to get them out. (Although I am not sure that is related to my problem at all)

I also got a suggestion to bypass the fuel filter and pump entirely, and connect the primer bulb hose directly to the fuel line to the carburetors and see if I can keep the engine running by me acting as the fuel pump. Haven't tried this one yet as I will probably need a helper.

But, I thought I would post here to see if there are any other possibilities or suggestions since this is a Suzuki specific forum. Thanks in advance guys!

For reference:
    -When I squeeze the primer bulb, it does feel like fuel is flowing and it will get hard, so I believe that is working properly.
    -I took off the fuel lines between the carbs and blew them out with carburetor cleaner. No blockages.
    -There is a small pinhole leak in the plastic fuel filter housing. I attempted to run the engine a few times using a see-through plastic fuel filter I got at an auto parts store instead of the leaky OEM one, but it didn't make a difference as far as the stalling goes.
    -The compression is 120 on each cylinder measured by the marine mechanic

Hi im new too but it sounds like a problem i have had on a dt140 1985.

I suggest if it runs by pushing the choke then the carbs are set too lean,either the mixture screw or the floats are set too low.

Check that your bulb works properly,fuel should only flow 1 way i have found they can push and pull due to the 1 way valves in them being defective.Best to use a new 1.

Connect fuel line and disconect at the carbs then squeeze the bulb petrol should flow out of the pipe at the carb freely,if it doesnt look for a restriction in either the fuel filter or pump.
    Hope this helps

Comment

Well, I checked out the fuel pump and it appears to be pumping fuel normally. The primer bulb also pushes fuel very well and only appears to flow one way.

I am in the process of running the carbs through an ultrasonic cleaner now. The cleaner is small, so I can only do one carb at a time. I have also noticed a conflict between the Clymers manual and the Suzuki manual regarding the float height.

The green Suzuki DT75/DT85 service manual says to set the floats to 0.69-0.77", but it turns out it is actually impossible to set the floats to this height. The float hits the carb body before you can reach 0.69".

The Clymers manual shows to set the floats to 0.39-0.47", which seems more likely to be correct as the floats are sitting level with the carbs upside down at this setting. I set mine to 0.43" for a nominal setting prior to the ultrasonic cleaning, but my stalling problem persisted. Perhaps setting it to 0.47" is what I should try next.

I'll post what happens after the carbs are ultrasonic cleaned and the passages blown out with compressed air. Thanks for the help so far!

Comment

your problem is not in the setting of the flots they just let only so much gas in the bowl .it is the gas and air mix that is problem.i just rebuild mine last week i ordered all new parts in carbs for about $200.00 .you have jet that is stopped up.take them down all parts that come out and boil them on low to middle heat in simple green.replace with new parts will fix your problem.also you can check bafore taken down open your the screw in front of carb it should be around 1 1/2 turn open.

Comment

make these adjustments and let us know. If you are leaking fuel out of your carb it is due to float level. Set float to 0.39 = 0.47 in. just bend tab on float until distance is reached between float and base of carb. Run your idle air adjustment all the way in (lean rich) to a lightly seated position. In to tight will damege the needle. From seated adjust ccw 1 3/4 - 2 1/4. Happy boating

Comment

I have run into a problem like yours and had to take a torch tip cleaned and clean the holes in the main jet and Idle circuit before I could get it to run. If you can't get your carburetors to work I have a set off an 89 DT75 I am parting out.

Comment

what are the ajustments for the float to stop letting gas in the carb there has that to be one to start letting gas in to tha carb and one to stop can some one help it also is a 1985 dt85
              I need both

thank you
              Last edited by bmorrow40; 08-22-2014, 06:49 AM.

Comment

dt75, won't stay running

Gas giant, start by adjusting your air mix screws at 1 turn each, from lightly seated. If having to choke then engine needs more gas. The air mix screw let's more air in the more turns out. To increase fuel close each screw the same, 1/8 turn at a time.
                You shouldn't need to be less than 3/4 turns from closed for any motor to basically run.
                If still needing to choke motor at that point, then then there is a blockage in the idle speed fuel passage. you may have to soak the main carb body for several hours, in carb cleaner (gallon can sold at auto parts with basket).
                Avoid wires in holes unless smaller than the hole, and only the idle passage itself. Compressed air is safer, and can help identify the passage for you.
                Good luck

Comment

thank you I got it running now I had to ajust the timeing by hand until I got it to start . do you know the timeing setting for the 1985 dt85 plus when I ran the boat after 2 to 3 min it stalled but it started back up easy but I chould only get 5000 to 6000 rpm out of it can you pleae help

Comment

bmorrow40

If you have problems and need help, start your own thread. Your manual will tell you how to adjust timing.
                    If getting 5k - 6k RPMs you shouldn't expect more. You'll probably blow your motor if above.

Comment

Working...
                    X