DF15 starter engaging issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DF15 starter engaging issues

I’ve been working on a 96 DF15hp w elect start. The problem is the after I use the e start and the motor runs, the starter stays engaged until I hit the start button again. I disconnected the starter button and now when I hook up the battery the starter engages instantly. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I first thought the start button was thinking but with it unhooked the starter still turns on

Sounds like the starter motor solenoid plunger is stuck in the switched position pull it off and have a look.

Comment

Hmmm. Isn’t the Solenoid a sealed unit?

Comment

Originally posted by Pbois34 View Post
        Hmmm. Isn’t the Solenoid a sealed unit?
        Do this simple test, remove the spade terminal off the solenoid then hook the battery up, if it still cranks over it means that the plunger inside the solenoid has moved forward contacting the main contacts inside the cap and applying battery voltage to the starter motor. If you remove the starter you will see that the Bendix drive is all the way forward.

If it does not crank when you remove the wire, you have battery voltage going to the solenoid from an other source.

Comment

Yes the solenoid was stuck. Strange as it was brand new, but I think it was a Chinese one. I had a used one and swapped them out and seems good. Thank you for the help

Comment

Working...
          X