DF225 Water Flow Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DF225 Water Flow Question

Gents: new to the forum & new to Suzuki outboards. Trying to sort out some issues on my new to me 06 w/ just over 400 hrs. Should have taken better notes, but heres what I recall. Ran the engine on the muffs, had to rev it a bit to get the water flowing, but then got an overheat alarm. OK, I'll just go thru the system & replaced the water pressure valve, t-stats and rebuild the pump and for good measures, replace the anodes. While I had the foot off, I connected the garden water hose to the pump tube and got no water out the pee hole, just out the bottom. This was with new parts installed. I hooked the hose into the flush port and get water out the pee hole. With everything reinstalled, still no water while on the muffs. Am I blocked somewhere or am I missing something. Will running the engine at the dock produce any different results? Whats my next move?

The first question is when was the water pump serviced!? it isn't necessarily how many hours but how long it has been since having the impeller replaced the guideline is two years max. You say "re-build" ??? did you install a new pump kit?
    couple other points you need a lot of water pressure out of your hose and also certain engines have a holes in front of the intake screen the muffs fit over that should be blocked
    And because of that - running engines at the dock will sometimes produce better results .
    on my 175 there is a flush port on the port side to flush the head after using in salt water
    the water from the pump to the head flows through this area. so if you pull off that cover plate you can inspect that area to make sure there is no blockage
    Art

Comment

I have the same year and model. I have never used muffs. I flush via the flush port; get a pee stream. All good with over 1700 hours.
      One thing to check. The stainless cup that the impeller fits into is known to crack. Did you inspect this?
      Is the key installed in the shaft that turns the impeller?
      There is a sleeve which fits over the lower unit pipe and the line up to the block. Is it there?

Brownspoint Marine Suzuki has exploded parts diagrams on line.

Comment

I did install a new water pump kit before reinstalling, new SS cup, impeller, gaskets. Alignment key in place, shaft rotate clockwise to seat the impeller. I too get a good stream when I use the flush port, just not when I'm on the muffs ( unlike my DF140 on my smaller boat). The local private ramp is still open & crowded so I think I'll sneak down this evening and see what happens when I dunk it before exploring further. I'm baffled as to why I didn't get a thru flush out the pee hole when I connected the water hose to the tube with the foot off? Thanks for the input.

Comment

Did you look behind the flush port cover plate? My engine is an '06 about 500 hours, or so, I had the over heat alarm
          had two problems behind this flush port plate was about 1/2 to 3/4 inch hole behind this section is the exhaust port so at low rpm there was not enough water to keep the head cool and the second thing - there was a second hole in the oil pan between exhaust and fresh water
          my mechanic found Suzuki had some issues with not coating the inside of the oil pan correctly from 06- to'08 that created some corrosion issues
          last comment- you do know not to run the engine with the hose connected to the flush port connection
          good luck
          Art

Comment

Thanks Art - yes I read to not run the engine with the flush port hooked up. I’ll see how it does in the water before going further. Was curious, have you ever run a descaler/salt remover thru your engine? If yes, any recommendations?

Comment

https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating...m-vinegar.html

one method

Comment

No - I have not personaay.
                The post from Murray was very good..
                even with good flushing after every trip to salt - crud still builds up

Comment

Gents - thanks for advice. Problem solved. I dunked it today and it’s pumping just fine. So now I’m wondering if I’ve been flushing incorrectly? Does Suzuki recommend using the flush port with engine off?

Comment

If using flush port engine must be off. I have two flush ports on my 2009 DF90A one on the mid unit the other on the front of the engine. Operating manual states use one or the other. There must be a bypass if using the mid unit flush port otherwise a cold engine would have a closed thermostat and stop the water flow.

Comment

If I could possibly ask a question on this particular subject: I've had a 2015 Suzuki 200DFA for one year and it ran great last summer. I know water came out the pee hole while on the water. I don't remember if water come out the pee hole when I flushed the engine with earmuffs on the trailer. I just changed the water pump and the thermostat and cleaned the water pressure valve. While flushing now with earmuffs there is no water coming from the pee hole and the engine overheats after 7 minutes and shuts down. Is there supposed to be water coming from the pee hole when running with earmuffs and how long should I idle it on earmuffs. Thank You, Tom

Comment

Water pressure on the muffs is critical. Yes water should be coming out the telltale when on the muffs or on the flushing port (never run the engine when flushing using the port)

And we find that the style of muffs used is important - the best results by far are with the small, soft round muffs, and put them on from the prop end of the leg (yes this sounds wrong but it does work better). If you dont get water from the telltale within 1 minute, shut it down. You may need, on some larger engines, to tape over the extra inlets on the leg when using the muffs. That usually does the job. Just dont forget to remove the tape after!

Comment

Yes there should be water coming out the pee hole when running the engine on muffs. I get water almost instantly. On this forum there has been various discussions with running on muffs that don’t/won’t supply enough water to get water out of the pee hole. In some instances once the boat is in the water the water starts coming out the pee hole. If your confident that the water pump is installed correctly, and if you can, leave the boat on the trailer and try running the engine to see if it pees assuming you can get the lower unit deep enough. I have a round set of muffs as opposed to the square type which some people claim don’t work as well as the round ones.

Comment

Working...
                          X