No announcement yet.

Did I just screw up my lower unit seal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did I just screw up my lower unit seal?

Hello,

I was fishing yesterday in some high winds and I got my fishing line caught in my prop. I removed the prop and thrust washer tonight. I started pulling on the fishing line and what look like a rubber washer came off with the line. But after seeing the new oil seal online, it looks like I cut of the outer lip of the seal.

I don't have any leaking oil at this point, I just ordered a new oil seal for my 1985 Suzuki DT115. Is it safe to take my boat out if its not leaking?

How hard is it to replace the oil seal on a Suzuki and I really couldn't finding any video's on the internet. Looks like most other brands have two oil seal, but Suzuki only has one?

I have a suzuki repair manually and it doesn't address it at all. I assume I remove the retaining ring and pull the old seal out? I saw the drywall screw trick, is that the best way of doing it....or to dangerous?

Thanks Shane
    Attached Files
    Last edited by akareddog95; 04-01-2020, 11:21 PM.

Yup that was the outer seal, I wouldn't use it until repaired, its already fubar, the screw in the seal to remove is great as long as you don't nick the shaft or housing.
    I make a seal installer with a piece of tubing/pipe no bigger than OD of seal & that slides over the shaft, square off one end in a lathe. YMMV.

Comment

Should I guy use gasket sealer on the outside edge when installing a new seal. Most video's I watched didn't use, but a couple of them did.

Comment

If the bore is nice & clean when you remove the old seal I wouldn't use any sealer. The outside of the seal is rubber coated. Grease the shit out of the shaft before you put the prop back on

Comment

Originally posted by tsturm View Post
          If the bore is nice & clean when you remove the old seal I wouldn't use any sealer. The outside of the seal is rubber coated. Grease the shit out of the shaft before you put the prop back on
          After looking at the shaft picts. you better get after the rough part @ the taper with some 340 emery before you take the old seal out. & grease that area at the taper before you slide a new seal on it.

Comment

Thank you Sir for you help!

Comment

Working...
            X