2009 four stroke 90 hp starting problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2009 four stroke 90 hp starting problems

I recently bought a used pioneer 175 baysport with a 2009 Suzuki four stroke outbound 90hp. Motor inspection went great and has only about 600 hours. Three of the five times I’ve taken it out, she starts fine, we go fish for an hour, and then the boat won’t start. It turns over and just sputters out. Twice at full throttle it just stopped going - motor didn’t shut off, just lost speed. Tried always going out with a full tank of gas, filled the oil, cleaned any corrosion, replaces the fuel bulb, still the same problem. A mechanic is now saying it’s the IAC valve—any other thoughts on whether that is correct or advice of others have had the same problem? Definitely baptism by fire for a first time boat owner

Sounds like a fuel issue to me. I would suggest you start at the gas tank and work your way towards the engine checking the fuel line for “crispy” sections. Check any clamps for tightness, there will be a small fuel filter attached to the engine, replace that. There might be a larger water separator/filter between the tank and engine, check that for water. Follow the fuel line and check for kinks and proper routing to the VST. Your mechanic said it could be the IAC, it could be but it could also be a lot of other issues. Below is a link where I purchased my manual this will give you a much better insight into your engine

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/15...?page=3#manual

Comment

Yes sounds like fuel related and not an IAC problem, It may be as simple as a blocked fuel tank vent, is the fuel primer flat or round and firm when trying to restart

Comment

Thank you all! Cleaned all lines and apparently doesn’t even have a IAC valve. Going to start at the gas tank tomorrow. She ran great yesterday with one hiccup

Comment

See page 0B-13 in the above link. You do have an IAC valve.

Comment

Working...
          X