1991 55hp outboard suzuki

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1991 55hp outboard suzuki

So I’m having a choke issue, need help from the experts on here, as no one in Texas (DFW) knows Suzuki outboards . I already replaced the choke solenoid with new one, problem is when I press in key to choke, the choke solenoid barley moves, sometimes it actually goes all way in but majority of time it’s like it barely moves hair, getting power, if I push rod with finger it moves freely, for some reason it’s barely moving . Let’s say outta 20 times pushing in key it may work 1 time.
    many ideas or help please
    tired of taking too off to manually push choke rod down.
    had hand full of mobile bot mechanics come just to turn away and say they couldn’t mess with a Suzuki

Have you got a suzuki service manual for your motor?
    How freely do the linkages, butterflies, and choke plunger move? If any of the linkages, or butterflies are stiff/ sticking, see why?
    If the plunger is dirty clean it so it slides smoothly.
    Check, choke wiring from switch to motor for dirty connections. Can also connect volt-meter to choke wire, & ground and test if key switch is sending full volts every time pressed. Any problems/skips might indicate bad/ dirty contacts in switch?
    I believe the manual gives proper/good ohms resistance values for the choke coil windings, check to make sure it is good?

Good luck, post back on what you find out.

Comment

I have gotten a service manual, only could find ohms of choke solenoid, don’t really speak of the choke other than that in manual.The linkage and butterflies move freely and easily. Gonna try and have my son hold test light with digital volt screen reading to see what voltage I’m getting or multi meter to check ohms when pressing key in.. post back on it after

Comment

Also if anyone knows any good Suzuki techs in dfw ( tx) area

Comment

You would have to google "Dallas fort worth suzuki outboard dealers", but because you have an older 2 stroke motor, they may not want to work on it. That is common with older motors. They tend to Want to sell a new outboard. You might look in your area for an electrical repair shop, and call to see if they can help find your problem?

If you find your key switch is the cause of your choke solenoid not activating, you could try a simple 2-wire horn push-button switch just for the choke. Look at your wiring diagram to find the 2 wires that operate your choke function, and use those for the new push-button, as long as there are no other problems with your switch.

Good luck, post back on what you find out.

Comment

Working...
          X