Suzuki dt65 cold start problem and stalling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suzuki dt65 cold start problem and stalling

Hello hopefully Somone has an answer my ft 65 will only start if I spray a little carb and choke cleaner in top carb. Then it will idle and high idle with no problems . As soon as I engage the motor and give it gas it stalls out. Spark plugs are new. New premium gas with sea foam. New Carb kits . Primer ball pumps then gets hard and stays hard. Please let me know any info. 802 673 2010 . I'm will to pay for answer.

Dennis

Dennis, on this site you don't need to pay for answers.

Your problem is most likely still in carbs. It sounds like you may have improper adjustments, or blockages in air & fuel passages?

If you rebuilt carbs ("new carb kits"), did you remove all the jets, and needle valve seats? Did you soak carbs in cleaner for a good couple hours? If yes on the above, did you use compressed air to blow through ALL of the holes and pas-sages for fuel AND air (very important step)? And, whenever needle valve seats are removed, floats have to be reset. Once all the above are done, then ALL the air mixture screws must be set identically by manual. Then the only other adjustment would be the idle stop screw, set at 700-800 rpms. Do not re-adjust mixture screws, this is what the factory sets them at to balance.

Now, it's very important for some motors (I didn't see a year model listed?) that you do not mix up the jets between carbs. Some earlier motors had different jets installed in multiple carb motors to balance running.

Hopefully, this will help, and if you're still having some issues let us know.

Good luck, post back when able, to let us know how it's going.

Comment

Cold start problem

I recleaned top carb found needle valve set screw dirty. Took it all apart sprayed used air compressor blew out everything reassemble and it started without any spray and idles perfect. Do not know if this fixed stalling problem. Will try on lake this week. Good news that I don't have to use starting fluid to start. Let's cross our fingers I fixed stalling issue.

Dennis

Comment

Did you only do the top carb? Why not go through the rest?

It's your call.

Glad it's idling better.

Good luck.

Comment

Cold start stalling

Originally posted by dbeloin View Post
          Hello hopefully Somone has an answer my ft 65 will only start if I spray a little carb and choke cleaner in top carb. Then it will idle and high idle with no problems . As soon as I engage the motor and give it gas it stalls out. Spark plugs are new. New premium gas with sea foam. New Carb kits . Primer ball pumps then gets hard and stays hard. Please let me know any info. 802 673 2010 . I'm will to pay for answer.

Dennis
          Well I guess I'm still in need of help. Thought I had it fixed. Could not cold start this morning . Had to put a little squirt of carb cleaner in top carb. Then started right up and idled perfect and reved fine from controls. It's like gas is getting in float section but is not getting up into reeds or past reeds. Primer ball primes and gets hard. I have a new fuel pump comming but can't believe it's that. Anyone please call 1988 dt65. My number 8026732010 . Duck hunting almost here.

Dennis

Comment

Starting and stalling when drive engaged.

Hello

One other thing when I rev the engine from controls after starting there is a lot of white smoke. Think this is possible head gasket or is it the seafoam I put in the gas.

Dennis

Comment

Possibly, fuel additive use if heavy concentration?

Don't have time for phone. But, you have to clean each Carb throughly, and blow all holes out! Then still you might need to use the choke for cold starting, but not starting fluid (doesn't contain oil - needed to lube internals of motor when starting).

If carbs are clean, then choke (pushing key in while starting) should be all that's needed.

Good luck.

Comment

Working...
              X