Buy Suzuki Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trim Stopped working...then starting working again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trim Stopped working...then starting working again.

God I would like to to go a season without a motor issue. I have 84 Suzuki DT115. I've had the boat out 8 times since the ice has been gone. Lately the trim hasn't sound quit right, doesn't sound strong.... is the best way to describe it. I went to raise the motor after fishing tonight and nothing happen. It wouldn't go up or down....no noise at all. Then 3 mins later it started working again. I assume it's an electrical problem. I been burning up the internet tonight. I assume it's the relays, but do they both even go bad at once or does it sound like the motor going bad? Where do I start......thank you?

https://www.suzukioutboardforum.com/...-power-failure

Worth a read

Comment

I am not sure that you have a white wire issue. I assume the trim button on your motor is the one that has issue (not the throttle trim). The first sign of one going out is when it works intermittently. Buy a new one and move along, little doggie.

Comment

By the way, red dog, an 1984 engine? I would be shocked of you didn't have an issue each season. Yikes.

Comment

Trim Picture.JPGTrim 2.JPG

LOL..... briscoe I know. I only have one working trim switch and it's on the throttle....well it was working. I have 1984 Pro-craft and the one on the bow has never worked since I bought the boat. I bought T-L switch and I wanted to mount it on the motor but I never could figure out the wiring. Everything seems to be working last night when I got home. How would bypass the trim switch with a jumper on the relay switch....if I got in a pitch.

Trim Picture.JPG
          This is the picture of the of switch I bought from T-L Marine TTC-1-DP I believe it has only three wires. I assume one up, one down and one to the battery with a fuse?
          I definitely want to add this asap possible as a back up. So what post do I add the up side to 1 or 2 and the down side 3 or 4.

I did read the whole thread Murry shared but does this old motor have a white wire....sounds that was a 4 stroke motor issue?

Thanks Guys!!!!!

Comment

Hello again, I have a little bite of update. I did install the switch above on my motor. I've had no issues in the last month, until last Friday. I've be fishing for about 3 hours and both switch stopped working.....nothing up or down would work. I got back to the boat ramp and magically it started working. I decided to work on it this afternoon and both switches was dead again. I checked the Negative side of my terminal and everything appeared to be tight. I check the switches and they both was working again. So I assume it was a bad ground. All lugs appear to be clean . I did go back and sandpapered everything down and applied a lite coat of light bulb grease for better contact. The motor seem to be working stronger again. I checked the voltage on the Trim relay. I was getting 11.80 volts on the down relay. The up relay was reading 11.10 volts on the slow speed and goes down to 10.80 when it kicked in to high speed up.

This is an 1984 DT115 and I don't believe the white wire is a thing....I don't believe there is a EMC????

I'm hoping it was you just a bad ground, but is it normal for the lower voltage on the up relay?

Comment

Working...
            X