X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Humming sound from outboards when not running

Hi All,

Short story:
    My new Suzuki DF200AP outboards (less than 10 hours, thanks to Coronavirus) make a humming sound when energized (ignition switch ON) but not running. Is this normal or should I be concerned?

Longer:
    I have new twin Suzuki DF200AP, installed by a local dealer days before the whole pandemic thing got serious so I haven't been able to run them for more than 10 hours.
    Dealer installed a single ignition switch for both outboards. So, even if I am running only one motor, the switch will be in the ON position for both.
    While doing my weekly start/run of the outboards from the earmuffs (I only run one at a time, to prevent any issues with low water pressure, etc), I noticed a sound coming from the engines. Like a pump (fuel pump?) or some energized coil.
    The motors ran fine, no codes thrown or any other issue to report, but I wonder if this normal or should I be concerned?

Thanks!

I recorded a video to demonstrate the sound I am referring to:
    Last edited by qbantek; 04-20-2020, 10:42 AM.

I don't know what the sound is coming from but it reminds me to cut the switch off after the motor is tilted out of the water.

Comment

If it is the high pressure fuel pump priming the system, shouldn't it stop at some point? It doesn't...

Comment

No its not the hp pump.

On an AP engine its the servos, and is normal.

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by qbantek View Post
            Hi All,

Short story:
            My new Suzuki DF200AP outboards (less than 10 hours, thanks to Coronavirus) make a humming sound when energized (ignition switch ON) but not running. Is this normal or should I be concerned?

Longer:
            I have new twin Suzuki DF200AP, installed by a local dealer days before the whole pandemic thing got serious so I haven't been able to run them for more than 10 hours.
            Dealer installed a single ignition switch for both outboards. So, even if I am running only one motor, the switch will be in the ON position for both.
            While doing my weekly start/run of the outboards from the earmuffs (I only run one at a time, to prevent any issues with low water pressure, etc), I noticed a sound coming from the engines. Like a pump (fuel pump?) or some energized coil.
            The motors ran fine, no codes thrown or any other issue to report, but I wonder if this normal or should I be concerned?

Thanks!

I recorded a video to demonstrate the sound I am referring to:
            The hum is coming from the dc motors on the engines throttle body, the system runs electronic throttle control and the throttle body motors are fed with high frequency, reversing voltages, and duty cycle. When you turn the key on the ecu will open the throttle for start up, throttle opening depends on engine temp.
            If you open and close the throttle with the key on, you will hear the different pitch in the hum.

Comment

Why would the dealer only install one ignition switch ????
              Maybe someone else has a good reason but for the life of me, I can't think of one!
              in that format- how do you run just one engine?
              Seems to me at some point it is a major problem just waiting to happen

Comment

Working...
              X