Battery recommendations for DF250

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery recommendations for DF250

I have a 2016 DF250 on my 22' Seasport. I currently have 3 batteries onboard. One is an Interstate Batteries 24DC with 550 CCA. The second is a Napa brand Premium Marine/RV Deep Cycle, 24DC with 550 CCA. The third is an Interstate Marine/RV Deepcycle with 550 CCA. So they all have the same cold cranking amps at 550. A couple are relatively old and I think in need of replacement. I was looking at the Suzuki website for which batteries to get and it seems like they have conflicting messages. This website specifically has a paragraph that says you should use deep cycle batteries for electronics, etc.

http://www.suzukimarine.com/FAQ/Main...%20system.aspx

But then on the outboard battery spec webpage, there is a specific Caution not use deep cycle batteries.

Caution: Avoid using deep cycle battery, maintenance-free battery, lithium battery or gel cell battery.

https://www.suzukimarine.com.au/part...battery-specs/

With that in mind, should I run deep cycle, regular marine starting batteries, or...? My electronics onboard include two Garmin fishfinders, a marine radio, an AM/FM/CD radio, and a couple of cabin lights. I also have an electric winch for the anchor and an electric downrigger. I know you are not supposed to mix deep cycle and non-deep cycle, but I am not sure what to go with here. The current batteries are what came with the boat when I bought it (used).

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Those two links are talking about different applications for batteries.

The first one is talking about the appropriate batteries for running house loads, and thats why they recommend deep cycle.

The second one is talking about starting batteries. Deep cycle batteries are not designed for high load starting duties.

So its simple. Its best to use deep cycle batteries for house duties if you have heavy house loads.

Use a marine starting battery of appropriate cca for starting duties. The electric anchor winch would normally be connected to the start battery, and the engine should be running when its operated.

Other than that, you dont appear to have an extreme load on your house battery so you could safely run a normal start battery for house duties as well. Ive been doing that for 10 years with my DF115 and just changed my batteries a year ago for the first time.

Your 550cca batteries are not up to the job for starting a DF250.

Suzuki engines, indeed all modern high tech efi outboards, are sensitive to having batteries with appropriate voltage and cranking power. Skimp on that and you can expect to have trouble.

Comment

I have 2 G31 in parallel @ 110AH each (deep cycles) for the house, electradyne puller, downriggers anchor windless 3 sonars, 2 stoves, radios, fans etc & 2 G24 start batts 550cca in parallel on a 1,2,ALL & off s/w all charged by a single df175. & a shore power charger.

Comment

Working...
      X