No announcement yet.

'99 DT115S Blown Powerhead...Options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had a lower unit rebuilt a couple of years ago on a 90horse Nissan. Cost me around $1500! If I were you, I'd locate me a Factory service Manual and attempt it myself or source a used LU somewhere. I recently bought a manual on ebay for like $3 for my 2003 DF140. It came as a web link to a pdf. I'd email you a copy but I don't think it goes back to a 99 model. Good luck sir.

Comment

Originally posted by Lunchmoney View Post
      I had a lower unit rebuilt a couple of years ago on a 90horse Nissan. Cost me around $1500! If I were you, I'd locate me a Factory service Manual and attempt it myself or source a used LU somewhere. I recently bought a manual on ebay for like $3 for my 2003 DF140. It came as a web link to a pdf. I'd email you a copy but I don't think it goes back to a 99 model. Good luck sir.
      I have the factory service manual just didn't have it with me at the time.
      I managed to get the whole lower unit disassembled.
      Currently trying to decide whether to rebuild or get a new/rebuilt one. There is a deep groove on the inside of the housing so I'm worried about that causing issues if I go and rebuild with new parts. All of the used LUs I'm seeing are pretty shot.

Comment

I can't see the deep groove you're talking about, but can see damages to the gears, as far as I can blow up the pics you added.
        If the groove isn't in an area to affect the seal, or if the groove won't cause problems with structural strength, it may be ok to leave (if it might cracked from stress or vibrations?). If serious concerns, can the groove be welded, then polished back down?

Otherwise, too should Google a lower unit for your motor to see if something shows up?

Good luck, let us know how it's going.

Comment

I may have found a good spare LU to replace mine.

In the meantime I'm trying to remove the broken bolts from the head with no luck. EZ outs won't budge them and I even snapped one of them. I'm thinking my only option now is to drill them out and go to helicoils or larger bolts.

I'm starting to think this motor isn't worth all the effort

Comment

Working...
          X