Buy Suzuki Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aftermarket SDS on Ebay; Anybody use them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aftermarket SDS on Ebay; Anybody use them?

Has anybody purchased an aftermarket SDS system from Ebay? They are fairly inexpensive, and contain the software and data link cable, you supply the laptop.

What would be the advantage of having one? Wouldn't the monitor flash a code if there was a problem detected by the ECM, and the codes clear themselves when the fault is corrected. I know you should be able to get a data list which helps troubleshooting futher, and i'm sure there's stored information for Suzuki to determine how you operated your outboard. i can imagine there are function test and /or relearn procedures. I'm assuming there are no misfire monitors, since there are no flash codes for it. What else is there?
    Last edited by Nayna32; 10-21-2016, 08:28 AM.
    Henry

I have a original Suzuki version and the Workshop manual too.
    I checked in ebay and some of them have older software versions, mine is V8.0

Beside to show engine data and stored errors like a ODBC scanner,
    the SDS system enables you to program the Suzuki digital commands.
    This includes but not limited to:
    - initializing BCD (Boat Control Module) and setting up number of engines, stations, controls, etc
    - initializing controls, reset and calibrate them

If you are far from a Suzuki mechanic you can save all the engine readings and send them by email to your mechanic to check.

I have it because i live far from good mechanics and so i can get remote help (if i need it)

Chris
    Last edited by ChrigelKarrer; 10-21-2016, 10:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nayna32 View Post
      Has anybody purchased an aftermarket SDS system from Ebay? They are fairly inexpensive, and contain the software and data link cable, you supply the laptop.

What would be the advantage of having one? Wouldn't the monitor flash a code if there was a problem detected by the ECM, and the codes clear themselves when the fault is corrected. I know you should be able to get a data list which helps troubleshooting futher, and i'm sure there's stored information for Suzuki to determine how you operated your outboard. i can imagine there are function test and /or relearn procedures. I'm assuming there are no misfire monitors, since there are no flash codes for it. What else is there?
      ''''''It would help, but you need to be able to look at live data, you can have drivability problems without bringing on the check engine light, eg rough idle, hesitations, stalling, stalling on deceleration ect. Any engine with electronic throttle control, would be very hard to diagnose drivability issues with no check engine light on without a scan tool. When some one comes to me with a problem, the first tool that comes out is my scan tool if it has electronic throttle control.

Comment

Thank you both for the responses. I would definitely have one if had a BCM and throttle by wire, by your responses. My DF140A is a lot less complicated, but I do want to perform a data recording and assess some sensor values as I can feel a hesitation around 3400 RPMS, and an occasional miss from idle to say 1500 RPMS.

When a monitor is flagged in the ECM, is it permanent, or can it be cleared? Ex: sensor failures, low voltage, number of start-WOT time?
        Last edited by Nayna32; 10-22-2016, 09:26 PM.
        Henry

Comment

I bought one off ebay back in April this year, and installed it on my laptop, Win7 64bit. Installed fine, seems to work okay, but I haven't done anything with it yet. It's ver 7.1.
          Mike
          μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Hi

I bought also from Ebay SDS sw 8.0 and the cable, but it not included an engine database. So it is useless now. Where i can get the database for DF115ATL 2016?
            Last edited by mackaiveri; 10-28-2016, 03:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X