1986 DT 200 Limp Mode?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1986 DT 200 Limp Mode?

I have a 1986 DT 200 that lost the CDI last year. I couldn't find a used or new pack or anyone that could rebuild my old one but I did find a 1987 CDI. Due to a few of the plugs on the 87 being different rather than cut/splice wires (some of the colors didn't match) I decided to just buy the whole wiring harness and replace everything. I got everything replaced everything one component at a time so as not to get anything mixed up. All cylinders are firing and they're firing in the right order. However the motor is idling rough and won't rev very high like it's in limp mode or the timing isn't advancing.

Troubleshooting help would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Bamarep; 05-18-2020, 02:02 PM.

You may need to compare both motors and see if there are any differences in sensors, or other features your motor didn't have that the newer motor had? The newer motor may have been EFI, possibly?

Post back on what you find out.

Comment

All of the components looked identical. I don't have the other motor, but bought everything that plugged into the CDI unit and methodically replaced each unit so as not to cross anything up. One of the plugs was different for whatever reason. It starts right up, but idles roughly and when revved up doesn't appear to above about 3000rpm. I'm a pretty good wrench but don't want to just start throwing parts at it looking to eventually find the issue. On this model, does anyone know if a Zuki dealer would be able to hook it up to a computer to chase down the problem?

Thanks for any help.

Comment

Working...
      X