Suzuki 2017 DF200AP loss of power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suzuki 2017 DF200AP loss of power

This past week-end while returning to port the DF200AP just starting missing and we had a loss of power. The fuel efficiency also dropped from around 5 MPG to 3.5 MPG. Got back to dock and checked fuel filter/separator and no water present. Fuel is non-ethanol and not old fuel. Engine starts and idles with apparent miss and vibration, still gets up on plane but large loss of power and time to plane, never cut out totally or died so not apparent white wire issue. No engine error/fault codes on C10 gauge or Garmin 7608, normal operator temperature, battery voltage and water pressure. Checked crankcase oil and that looks just fine on level and no water in oil.

I have been using the boat every week-end lately. I am thinking a bad injector, but thought I would post here before I haul the boat (Pathfinder 2200V) and take to the Suzuki dealer, as still under the initial warranty period. Any thoughts to check before I haul the boat out and take to Sawyer Outboards here in Naples, Florida ?

Jim

Throw in a new set of plugs before you do anything

Comment

Yes just some 20 Hrs since the last maintenance interval, but good idea to pull them and take a look, thanks for the reply

Jim

Comment

what is he condition of the fuel bulb when this happens?
        sounds like the engine is starving for fuel

Comment

Fuel bulb is hard and internal fuel filter full

Comment

Originally posted by jfwireless View Post
            This past week-end while returning to port the DF200AP just starting missing and we had a loss of power. The fuel efficiency also dropped from around 5 MPG to 3.5 MPG. Got back to dock and checked fuel filter/separator and no water present. Fuel is non-ethanol and not old fuel. Engine starts and idles with apparent miss and vibration, still gets up on plane but large loss of power and time to plane, never cut out totally or died so not apparent white wire issue. No engine error/fault codes on C10 gauge or Garmin 7608, normal operator temperature, battery voltage and water pressure. Checked crankcase oil and that looks just fine on level and no water in oil.

I have been using the boat every week-end lately. I am thinking a bad injector, but thought I would post here before I haul the boat (Pathfinder 2200V) and take to the Suzuki dealer, as still under the initial warranty period. Any thoughts to check before I haul the boat out and take to Sawyer Outboards here in Naples, Florida ?

Jim
            what you are describing is a cylinder miss, run the engine on the muffs and remove the coil connector to each cylinder one at a time and note the rpm drop. If you remove a connector and it makes no difference to the rpm you have found what cyl is not working.
            Remove the plug and have a look, if it is wet you know that at least fuel is being injected, do the simplest thing fist and replace the plugs.
            If the plug is dry, you may have an injector problem. my guess more likely a coil or wiring, do those simple tests and come back on the forum with the results.

Comment

I had the same thing happen today. Isolated the problem to the top cylinder. Swapped the coils and the problem stayed with the same cylinder. Replaced the plug and still missing.

Comment

Was the plug wet or dry, if it was dry, run the engine and give the injector a tap with the plastic end of a screwdriver, the pintle might be stuck, if that don’t work check the resistance of the injector.

If you don’t know how to check injector operation just get two jumper leads, disconnect the injector and connect battery pos to the pin that had the grey wire going to it and ground the other pin on and off and listen for it to click

Comment

The plug looked really good. I disconnected the injector connector and the an alarm came up on the display. Oddly, I think it also made the motor run worse, which made me doubt my initial troubleshooting. Do you disconnect the coil wire while the motor is running? I shut it off each time, which made it a judgement whether that made it run worse or not.

Comment

Start a new post with all the engine details, just keep in mind on late engines if the computer detects a misfire on a cylinder it will switch the injector off on the cylinder it detects that is missing

Comment

From what you are saying I don’t think you have detected the cylinder that the problem is on and when you removed the injector plug you have pulled an other cylinder down.
                      When you removed the injector plug the computer sensed an open circuit and sounded the alarm.

Comment

Working...
                      X