2006 DF175 VST Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2006 DF175 VST Problem

I screwed in the drain screw in on the bottom VST because I thought it should be snug. Fuel started draining out. Backed it out to the original spot and fuel still continues coming out. I don't quite understand how this drain screw with a pointed tip opens and closes the draining of the VST. I have looked at the shop manual and still can't figure it out without taking the VST off an apart. My next question would be can I just pinch the drain tube and then tear this apart after the season is over or is the VST pressurized so it may blow the drain tube off?
    Many thanks for anyone's response.

I believe the screw is designed to be partially opened to allow the VST to drain Like a needle valve, screwed all the way in should close it off
    obviously this drain hose was designed as the overflow of vapor and if the float valve were to stick, a way for fuel to drain. I would think closing this drain tube off just invites other problems.
    Were you having a specific problem that you didn't mention?
    Art

Comment

Thanks so much for the reply. I was not having any issues when I tightened the screw up that all of a sudden allowed fuel to drain . That just didn’t make sense to me . That pointed tip has to seat into something but the diagrams I have looked at fail to show anything

Comment

Originally posted by ramscra View Post
        I screwed in the drain screw in on the bottom VST because I thought it should be snug. Fuel started draining out. Backed it out to the original spot and fuel still continues coming out. I don't quite understand how this drain screw with a pointed tip opens and closes the draining of the VST. I have looked at the shop manual and still can't figure it out without taking the VST off an apart. My next question would be can I just pinch the drain tube and then tear this apart after the season is over or is the VST pressurized so it may blow the drain tube off?
        Many thanks for anyone's response.
        The drain tube off the bottom of the VST is a drain only, the vent comes off the upper half of the VST. The drain screw is / was tapered to fit in a seat that used to close off the drain hole. In mine the drain hole collected water & FUBARD the seat. I tapped the hole & put in a machine screw w/sealing washer, I remove the screw to drain the bowl now. Cheaper than $600.00 for a VST.

Comment

tsturm,
          Did you tap a hole where the drain tube is and left the side tapered screw in also?

So if the tube is strictly a drain tube, I should be able to pinch it of and get after this a bit later? I hate to miss anymore good fishing the start of this season..

I love your idea of tapping this VST.

Comment

The screw is designed to allow you to drain the fuel, if you are going to store it for extended period. If it's mucked up from screwing it down too much one could plug it up and repair it later. Just remember it's gasoline. I don't think the exhaust manifold gets hot enough to start a fire, but keep an eye out for sheen on the water, which might tell you to take a peek at it when you finish a trip. It would be ideal to look after every trip, butt how many off us would do that. I'm just sayin.....

Comment

Originally posted by ramscra View Post

tsturm,
              Did you tap a hole where the drain tube is and left the side tapered screw in also?

So if the tube is strictly a drain tube, I should be able to pinch it of and get after this a bit later? I hate to miss anymore good fishing the start of this season..

I love your idea of tapping this VST.

Yes Fish on!!

Comment

Working...
              X