250 neutral safety switch issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 250 neutral safety switch issues

Tried to out smart Mr Zuke! I was told my 2007 250 has 2 NSS's one on engine & one in throttle control. The one on the engine was bad according to my ohm meter. So I jumped the pig tail going to it & Alls was good. Tried it 20 times, no problems. So I "hot wired" the switch, again all good, checked 20 more times. Went out today & motor is throwing a 3-3 code. Neutral safety switch, and of course I can't go above 3,000 rpm. Is the only solution replacing the switch? It's a bear to get at, especially with the boat on a lift & no trailer. All thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks, Roy

Update! I reconnected the pigtail to the NSS as per factory, now it's back to having to play with shifter 6-8 to get engine started, BUT the 3-3 code & beep is still there. Is there a way to reset it? Roy

Comment

re NSS Just wondering if you tried to make any adjustments to this?
      Is it properly centered?
      Usually a code only goes away when what is causing the error code is fixed

Comment

I believe the switches are adjustable. Doing your own work will be easier if you spend a few bucks on a service manual.
        Mike
        μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Mike, I do have the service manual, that's how I determined the switch on the engine was bad. I don't understand why the code doesn't go away when the switch IS working. Art, Will look at linkage/adjustment this am. Thanks, Roy

Comment

Well the code went away when the motor was put in gear. In neutral it was still showing the 3-3 code, this am, as soon as I put it in gear the code & beep went away. Linkage looks ok, but I'm going to hire a mechanic to replace NSS & check linkage. Roy

Comment

Obviously you were able to clear the code error
              Great work!

Comment

Originally posted by roydawn View Post
                Well the code went away when the motor was put in gear. In neutral it was still showing the 3-3 code, this am, as soon as I put it in gear the code & beep went away. Linkage looks ok, but I'm going to hire a mechanic to replace NSS & check linkage. Roy
                ''''' Just buy a switch and change it your self, adjust it so it is closed in neutral and open when in gear, simple.

Comment

Working...
                X