2008 df 250 driveshaft replacement question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2008 df 250 driveshaft replacement question

I just got finished with replacing the driven gear and driveshaft because the splines stripped on the driven gear and also damaged the driveshaft splines.
    So the dealer gave me new parts, some like the driven gear and upper mount cover and driveshaft tapered bearings were updated 3#'s from stock.
    I installed the parts and when I test ran I heard lower unit whining noises from the gears.
    When I did the lower unit new driveshaft, bearing and seal kit, I did used the original shims that were in the L/U.
    ( I had the same problem with the other engine 500 hours ago and fixed it similarly with no L/U noise.)
    I seems that I have too much gear backlash when rotating the driveshaft per the service manual.
    ( I dont have the special tool 09952-09310, but using a hose clamp and bending the tab perpendicular to the shaft it looks excessive).

I notice the driveshaft bearing was different from the stock brg. as it was a double tapered roller with no spacer between them.
    The total height of the bearing seemed the same, so I installed it and torqued the nut per the service manual to 72 ft-lbs.
    Should I have to reshim when just changing the driveshaft and driveshaft bearing?
    Tere was no gear noise previously.
    Do I need to shim check all the gears now, forward, rev, and pinion?

Figured it out, the vendor sent the wrong driveshaft and this caused gear noise.
    They sent the correct one and its working perfectly

Comment

Thanks for the update to what happened. How you figured the vendor error might help others too.

Glad it's working again. Happy boating.

Comment

Working...
      X